Aug 26, 2010, 10:05 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks’ Chase Field is known as one of the most hitting-friendly ballparks in Major League Baseball with its short fences, massive center field batter’s eye and relatively high elevation.
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the D’Backs are looking at ways to change that.
From messing with the dimensions to raising fences and even installing a Coors Field-like humidor, the club is considering all options.
“We do know that it’s an issue,” Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall said Thursday. “The offense is unreal at
Chase Field. We have a launching pad now. We have a team that’s
hopefully going to be built around young pitching. We should look at
ways to reduce offense, especially from an opponents’ standpoint.”
The Reds play in a ballpark that lends itself to a lot of offense and have countered that by developing a well-rounded pitching staff. Now they’re leading the National League Central and cursing toward their first playoff appearance since 1995.
The Diamondbacks have not drafted well and have not made the right decisions in free agency, so instead they’re looking at other options. Or excuses. Whatever you want to call ’em.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)