Aug 26, 2010, 9:42 AM EDT
Be honest. If on Sunday night, somebody told you that the Braves were going to get swept in Colorado you probably would have guessed that the Phillies would have
picked up at least a game or two in the standings while playing the
lowly-Astros. Heck, I would have too. Let this series function as a reminder of why they play the games.
Just two days after Brett Myers stymied his former team, J.A. Happ did the same, allowing two runs on five hits over 6 1/3 innings as part of a 3-2 win over the Phils last night. He stuck around just long enough for the victory, as the Astros plated the go-ahead run on an RBI single by Humberto Quintero off Halladay in the top of the seventh.
Happ tried his best to treat last night’s start like he would any other game, but he told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he had some butterflies facing his former team.
“I’m a little relieved it’s over,” Happ said. “There were definitely
some nerves going out there and I didn’t know how I was going to feel.
Just like usual, once you get out there and get going, it’s just another
game … kind of.”
Alas, the Phillies remain where they started the week, sitting 2 1/2 games behind the first-place Braves. The Astros will go for the unlikely four-game road sweep when Wandy Rodriguez opposes Kyle Kendrick this afternoon. I’m guessing tensions will be pretty high.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)