J.A. Happ plays spoiler in return to Philadelphia

Aug 26, 2010, 9:42 AM EDT

Be honest. If on Sunday night, somebody told you that the Braves were going to get swept in Colorado you probably would have guessed that the Phillies would have
picked up at least a game or two in the standings while playing the
lowly-Astros. Heck, I would have too. Let this series function as a reminder of why they play the games.

Just two days after Brett Myers stymied his former team, J.A. Happ did the same, allowing two runs on five hits over 6 1/3 innings as part of a 3-2 win over the Phils last night. He stuck around just long enough for the victory, as the Astros plated the go-ahead run on an RBI single by Humberto Quintero off Halladay in the top of the seventh.

Happ tried his best to treat last night’s start like he would any other game, but he told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he had some butterflies facing his former team.

“I’m a little relieved it’s over,” Happ said. “There were definitely
some nerves going out there and I didn’t know how I was going to feel.
Just like usual, once you get out there and get going, it’s just another
game … kind of.”

Alas, the Phillies remain where they started the week, sitting 2 1/2 games behind the first-place Braves. The Astros will go for the unlikely four-game road sweep when Wandy Rodriguez opposes Kyle Kendrick this afternoon. I’m guessing tensions will be pretty high.

1. Old Gator - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Crunch time. This late in the season, the cumulative atherosclerotic impact of all those horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches is beginning to tell: shortness of breath (arterial plaque), slowness of reflexes (dendritic plaque), lethargy on the basepaths (belly plaque). It’s time for the Feelies to switch to feesh oil highballs and sprout sandwiches on multigrain high fiber toast, to swear off strange, and to mow their lawns more often. The scrawnier Braves, unencumbered by wind resistance, will just run further ahead of them if they don’t.

2. Jonny5 - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM

It couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Where as Myers was recieved to a cressendo of boos, Happ was at standing ovation when he was announced. Thank goodness the Braves suffer from altitude sickness in Colorado.

3. P-Frank - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM

There he is! Gator, I was worried about you–I hadn’t seen any of your posts dissing cheesesteaks yet this season.
    The Phils’ big bat have fallen asleep again, but at least it’s not during the WS like last year. Hopefully they’ll get their groove back (and also start stringing hits together again like they were doing last week) and give their pitching some run support on time for the playoffs.
    And I’m convinced you’ve never had a good cheesesteak–I agree, no horsemeat or–ugh–whiz (sacrilege to a real cheesesteak fan). Next time you’re in the Philly area, if you’re interested, I’ll buy you one that will change your mind about what a cheesesteak really is.

4. matt - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Myers was received to a crescendo of boos?? What game did you see?

5. nps6724 - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Philly was bound to start losing after playing .750 ball the past month.

6. Jonny5 - Aug 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM

That’s what I heard. I’m sure it wasn’t everyone, but I heard it.

7. Old Gator - Aug 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM

PF – even I can only beat a joke so far into the ground before it needs some recovery time, you know? I’m stockpiling my horsemeat and velveeta one-liners for the playoffs where, I still believe, we will find the Feelies come October. And if not, there’ll be plenty of opportunities to use them during the offseason and when the camps open in February.
    However, aside from one or two nature excursions up the Sepik River in New Guinea, or during the occasional visit to Tenochtitlan, where you really couldn’t be sure what – or who – you were being offered on that bun, I have never turned down a free meal. I imagine I’ll find myself in Camden one of these days but, like W. C. Fields, on the whole I would rather be in Feeladelfia. I am always willing to be culinarily enlightened, even, on occasion, at the expense of my circulatory system. We’ll keep in touch and figure something out sooner or later.

8. Utley's hair - Aug 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM

After his comments about sticking it to the Phightins, in addition to his er, uh, extracurricular activities, I would’ve been surprised if Myers wasn’t booed heartily. Happ, on the other hand is a promising–though so was Myers at the same point–hurler who was a fan favorite, especially after his run to ROY runner-up last year. When he was being dangled in the potential Halladay acquisition, he turned it up and excelled–Halladay was a different story last year, if you recall. Happ also made it quite clear how he felt about playing here and his apprehension about moving on. Good luck to him. Now, if he would just cease and desist in his one-upping Halladay, we’ll be good.

9. Jonny5 - Aug 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM

CBP is one of the few ballparks that do cater to the vegetarian diet. I don’t eat much food at the ballpark besides liquid fermented grain beverages. But the city of Philthadelphia has some of the best resturaunts in the country believe it or not. For the grizzly in all of us morrimotos is top notch. And if raw feesh aren’t up your alley, there are literally hundreds of places to go. I was in NYC a short while ago and was far from impressed. I bought a Lasagna at a “fine” resturaunt and it was terrible, I would have rather had a Whopper w/cheese.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2639)