Aug 26, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez is not in the Dodgers’ lineup this afternoon, but it likely has more to do with manager Joe Torre resting him for a day game following a night game than it does his waiver wire status.
However, if he doesn’t come off the bench as a pinch-hitter this afternoon there’s a slight chance that Ramirez has already played his last game as a Dodger. His time on the waiver wire reportedly expires tomorrow afternoon and the Dodgers don’t play until tomorrow night, although they do have until early next week to work out a deal if he’s claimed.
If he is moved before tomorrow night Ramirez went out on a high note, going 2-for-2 with two doubles and two walks in a 5-4 victory. He’s now hitting .313/.407/.513, which is good for a .920 OPS that ranks fifth in the league. That’s pretty damn good considering how many people are acting like Ramirez is all washed up.
Beyond that the Dodgers are now 5.5 games back in the NL Wild Card race and the White Sox, who reportedly plan to place a waiver claim on Ramirez, are 3.5 games back in the AL Central. Seems like if Ramirez and his .920 OPS can help Chicago he can also still help Los Angeles, doesn’t it?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)