Aug 26, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez is not in the Dodgers’ lineup this afternoon, but it likely has more to do with manager Joe Torre resting him for a day game following a night game than it does his waiver wire status.
However, if he doesn’t come off the bench as a pinch-hitter this afternoon there’s a slight chance that Ramirez has already played his last game as a Dodger. His time on the waiver wire reportedly expires tomorrow afternoon and the Dodgers don’t play until tomorrow night, although they do have until early next week to work out a deal if he’s claimed.
If he is moved before tomorrow night Ramirez went out on a high note, going 2-for-2 with two doubles and two walks in a 5-4 victory. He’s now hitting .313/.407/.513, which is good for a .920 OPS that ranks fifth in the league. That’s pretty damn good considering how many people are acting like Ramirez is all washed up.
Beyond that the Dodgers are now 5.5 games back in the NL Wild Card race and the White Sox, who reportedly plan to place a waiver claim on Ramirez, are 3.5 games back in the AL Central. Seems like if Ramirez and his .920 OPS can help Chicago he can also still help Los Angeles, doesn’t it?
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)