No, Virginia, I don't believe in jinxes

Aug 26, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT

There, I said it. Phew.

This topic is pretty silly to begin with, but since it’s been a relatively slow afternoon news-wise, I thought it was worth discussing. You see, during Tuesday’s near no-hitter by the Rangers, I was accused of being a jinx. Yes, it’s true. That stung a little bit at the time, but it’s not going to stop me from mentioning potential no-hitters in the future. My apologies if you hate it, but I just refuse to believe that if I mention the event in progress — as I did here on the blog on Tuesday night — it will have some cosmic effect on the actual game on the field. That’s positively bananas.

We have had five no-hitters this season, including two perfect games, the great majority of which HardballTalk has covered in progress.

April 17: Ubaldo Jimenez

May 9: Dallas Braden

May 29: Roy Halladay

June 25: Edwin Jackson

July 26: Matt Garza

And that’s not even counting how MLB Network cuts into live game action as early as the sixth or seventh inning in some cases, or how the instant-gratification of Twitter has pretty much hacked away at whatever superstitions you once held dear. We live in a world where no-hitters in progress are mentioned more frequently than ever before, yet we have had more no-no’s this season than there have been since 1990.

I don’t want to get all scientific about it, because really, whatever you believe is up to you. The Mets have never thrown a no-hitter, so perhaps the whole darn franchise is a jinx for all I know. Though, I admit Cubs fans may have an argument with me there. The point is, no, I don’t think my words had any impact on Tuesday’s outcome, nor did ESPN’s or MLB Network’s or anybody on Twitter for that matter. Neftali Feliz just happened to miss his location on a fastball to Joe Mauer, who is a pretty good hitter, it turns out.

1. RichardInBigD - Aug 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Truth is, I believe in all of that mess you’re talking about. It’s all just fun. I’ve seen my son give up some of the biggest HR’s I’ve ever seen hit by someone not getting paid to do it. When you leave up a change a little too long to a big hitter that’s expecting it, they tend to travel quite a distance in the opposite direction. If you do that once in 7 innings, while striking out 11, I’d say you’ve had a pretty good day. When a sophomore on a varsity squad at a big school goes 7-1 with a 0.90 ERA, I’d say you’ve had a pretty good season, and more importantly, have a really bright future. Time will tell…
    And BTW, The team moron, really isn’t a moron. If he was, I certainly wouldn’t refer to him as such. He’s a great kid that my son has been friends with since pre-school, and I feel towards him as I do ALL my son’s teammates. They’re like nephews (a couple even like sons), and I love them all. And take note, Reflex, I didn’t call you a moron even once…

2. RichardInBigD - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Yes, my son is hittable, but just as a random thought, and playing with the odds in my favor, I’d be willing to bet a paycheck or two that he IS unhittable by YOU…
    And of course they would understand what was going on. It’s just ONE WORD that needs to be dropped from the conversation. If you need to type a couple of extra characters to get the point across without using a certain word, get over it!

3. RichardInBigD - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Just wondering, Reflex, is your other name “David”?

4. Proudly Canadian - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM

After half an inning tonight, Ricky Romero is no hitting the Tigers. I sure hope that I have not jinxed him.

5. Reflex - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Actually yes, do we know each other?

6. Reflex - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I disagree about the word, and I wasn’t trying to call you a moron either. I was saying that superstition is just that, superstition, which means it has no real value beyond psychological. Those who follow it need to get tougher mentally and learn about cause/effect and the difference between corrolation and causation.
    Anyways, sorry I responded harshly, I just get tired of debates like this. HBT is not responsible for the no-hitter ending. The pitcher never even saw it, its not even comparable to your son’s situation, which even if the teammate was to blame was a case of nerves at worst. Fans discussing a game in progress is a time honored tradition, and I don’t want it censured because of unprovable superstitions.

7. Proudly Canadian - Aug 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Sory Ricky! I did jinx you. That single you gave up in the second inning was all my fault.

8. RichardInBigD - Aug 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM

No, not really. Your tone and demeanor just kind of remind me of a guy that used to post a lot on Craig’s old place…

9. Reflex - Aug 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Never posted there, this is the first baseball blog I’ve ever posted on, although I’ve run a fantasy league for a decade or so.

10. RichardInBigD - Aug 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM

What exit? I grew uo at 10/129.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet