Oliver Perez wants to stay with the Mets. Of course he does!

Aug 26, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT

This might be my favorite story of the day, mostly because it makes me incredibly sad. Oliver Perez told Adam Rubin of ESPN.com that he would like to be back with the Mets next season.

“I want to be back here. I want to have a
championship because I know the fans want it and I want it, too.”

Of course he wants to stay. You see, if the Mets had the marbles to cut him loose and some team took him on at the major league minimum, Perez might actually be forced to do something. Like go to the minor leagues and learn how to pitch.

By the way, Perez hasn’t appeared in a game since August 1. Don’t worry about it, though. That’s only because he’s the team’s emergency situational left-hander on the road in the event of a leap year. It’s a luxury only a few teams can afford.

1. BC - Aug 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I think Perez is as deluded as he looks in his picture.

2. Kung - Aug 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I don’t think he looks deluded, more like a horse kicked him when he was young.

3. JimmyY - Aug 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM

And Minaya still has a job. Unbelievable.

4. Md23Rewls - Aug 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM

He wants to have a championship and he will get it by staying with the Mets. Logical fallacy of the day?

5. Old Gator - Aug 26, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Mutts fans will doubtless be thrilled to learn that Ollie wants to stay. They set a great store by loyalty. Of course, they also like it when their pitchers can throw strikes, especially when the ball gets past a hitter, induce double play grounders, popups and soft fly balls to the middle outfield. So, at least Ollie has one of the requisite qualifications for being adored in New York. Perhaps even more fortunately, the Mutts seem determined to give him every opportunity to master the rest of that skill set on their nickel and on their time.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3125)