Aug 26, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
Rangers officials told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan that the team is looking at making a run at Manny Ramirez, but that the team isn’t interested in the recently released Brad Hawpe.
Hawpe has been mentioned as a possible fit for Texas and San Diego since being let go by Colorado, but the Padres appear to be out of the mix and the Rangers would prefer a right-handed bat. Boston and Tampa Bay appear to be more likely suitors at the moment.
Ramirez to Texas would be awfully interesting, but it’s not going to happen if the rumors about the White Sox putting in a claim are true. Unless he clears waivers, Ramirez can only be traded to the team that wins the claim on him, and because of their inferior record, the White Sox have a higher priority than the Rangers.
As a result, the Rangers will probably have to settle for a lesser bat or go with what they have now. They’re 8 1/2-game lead in the AL West is very comfortable, so there’s no sense going after anyone they don’t believe would fit on the postseason roster.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)