Aug 26, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
Depending on how the Reds adjust their rotation between now and then Johnny Cueto may be in line to start against the Cardinals next week.
When he last faced the Cardinals on August 10 there was a benches-clearing incident and Cueto was suspended seven games after giving Jason LaRue a season-ending concussion with a kick to the head, so the follow-up start has the potential to be very interesting.
Fortunately for Cueto, manager Dusty Baker realizes that might not be the world’s greatest idea right now and indicated that the Reds may keep him from pitching against the Cardinals:
I don’t know yet. He’s going to have to pitch against them some time. They say time heals all wounds. Maybe it doesn’t.
Baker is right that Cueto will eventually have to pitch against the Cardinals, but next week’s three-game series is actually the final time Cincinnati and St. Louis will meet this season. And while the Cardinals are no doubt capable of holding a grudge until 2011, presumably the level of anger will have dropped off at least somewhat in eight months. Or at least Cueto can further improve his Kung Fu skills by then.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)