Aug 26, 2010, 10:45 AM EST
Depending on how the Reds adjust their rotation between now and then Johnny Cueto may be in line to start against the Cardinals next week.
When he last faced the Cardinals on August 10 there was a benches-clearing incident and Cueto was suspended seven games after giving Jason LaRue a season-ending concussion with a kick to the head, so the follow-up start has the potential to be very interesting.
Fortunately for Cueto, manager Dusty Baker realizes that might not be the world’s greatest idea right now and indicated that the Reds may keep him from pitching against the Cardinals:
I don’t know yet. He’s going to have to pitch against them some time. They say time heals all wounds. Maybe it doesn’t.
Baker is right that Cueto will eventually have to pitch against the Cardinals, but next week’s three-game series is actually the final time Cincinnati and St. Louis will meet this season. And while the Cardinals are no doubt capable of holding a grudge until 2011, presumably the level of anger will have dropped off at least somewhat in eight months. Or at least Cueto can further improve his Kung Fu skills by then.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from the Athletics 2
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 0
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 73
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)