Aug 26, 2010, 1:46 AM EDT
Brandon Phillips, the All-Star second baseman for the NL Central-leading Cincinnati Reds, left Wednesday’s game against the San Francisco Giants after he was hit on the hand by a pitch from Santiago Casilla.
The incident occurred in the fifth inning of what would become a wild 12-11 Cincinnati victory. While Phillips stayed in the game to run the bases, he left in the bottom of the inning.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Phillips will have x-rays once the swelling goes down, and that Phillips told a reporter that he was concerned.
Losing Phillips would be a substantial blow to the Reds, who hold a 3 1/2-game lead over the St. Louis Cardinals. Phillips is hitting .290 with 16 home runs, 50 RBIs, 89 runs, and 13 steals (though in 23 attempts).
If a brash guy like Phillips is concerned, that can’t be good, but the Reds should know more about the seriousness of the injury on Thursday.
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 58
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 49
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games