Aug 26, 2010, 1:46 AM EST
Brandon Phillips, the All-Star second baseman for the NL Central-leading Cincinnati Reds, left Wednesday’s game against the San Francisco Giants after he was hit on the hand by a pitch from Santiago Casilla.
The incident occurred in the fifth inning of what would become a wild 12-11 Cincinnati victory. While Phillips stayed in the game to run the bases, he left in the bottom of the inning.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Phillips will have x-rays once the swelling goes down, and that Phillips told a reporter that he was concerned.
Losing Phillips would be a substantial blow to the Reds, who hold a 3 1/2-game lead over the St. Louis Cardinals. Phillips is hitting .290 with 16 home runs, 50 RBIs, 89 runs, and 13 steals (though in 23 attempts).
If a brash guy like Phillips is concerned, that can’t be good, but the Reds should know more about the seriousness of the injury on Thursday.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)