Aug 26, 2010, 1:46 AM EDT
Brandon Phillips, the All-Star second baseman for the NL Central-leading Cincinnati Reds, left Wednesday’s game against the San Francisco Giants after he was hit on the hand by a pitch from Santiago Casilla.
The incident occurred in the fifth inning of what would become a wild 12-11 Cincinnati victory. While Phillips stayed in the game to run the bases, he left in the bottom of the inning.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Phillips will have x-rays once the swelling goes down, and that Phillips told a reporter that he was concerned.
Losing Phillips would be a substantial blow to the Reds, who hold a 3 1/2-game lead over the St. Louis Cardinals. Phillips is hitting .290 with 16 home runs, 50 RBIs, 89 runs, and 13 steals (though in 23 attempts).
If a brash guy like Phillips is concerned, that can’t be good, but the Reds should know more about the seriousness of the injury on Thursday.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)