Report: Dustin Pedroia is "probably done for the year"

Aug 26, 2010, 5:01 PM EST

Earlier this week Dustin Pedroia sought a second opinion on his injured foot and now Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that a “major league source” has told him the second baseman is “probably done for the year.”
According to Cafardo he’ll spend the next week or two wearing a boot to stabilize the foot and surgery remains an option if the “pace” of the healing doesn’t improve in that time.
If he’s indeed done for the season, Pedroia finishes with a .288/.367/.493 line that is just nine points of OPS below his MVP-winning mark from 2004, but he’s played in just 75 games. When he was in the lineup and the Laser Show was in full swing Boston went 45-30, compared to 28-25 (so far) without Pedroia.

1. El Bravo - Aug 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I miss Craig…you didn’t reference a laser show (or lack thereof)…:(

2. Pisano - Aug 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Who cares ? he’s not a difference maker anyway . Youkilis injury hurts , that man IS a difference maker . Take that to the bank !

3. JimmyY - Aug 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Agreed.

4. zehutiman - Aug 26, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Hey Pisano, what part of “When he was in the lineup and the Laser Show was in full swing Boston went 45-30, compared to 28-25 (so far) without Pedroia,” eludes your comprehension?

5. Pisano - Aug 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Trust me , in five years you won’t remember his name , he’ll be long gone , and Youk will still be carrying the team . Remember where you heard it .

6. Lans Downe - Aug 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Youk will be carrying team at 35? Dubious claim.

7. Glenn - Aug 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I’m pretty sure that both are very valuable and if both stayed healthy, the Sox would be realistically in this playoff chase. Why all the Pedroia hate? He did win an MVP and has been good every season of his life.

8. Pisano - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Glenn , no hate on pedroia ( note lower case ) I’m just tired of him getting all this , if he was healthy shit . I think Youkilis never gets the credit he deserves .Youkilis is probably the last guy you want to come to bat with men in scoring position if your on the other team . Ask the Yankees who they would rather face with the game on the line , I will bet money they would rather face pedroia than Youkilis. Also, I’m so tired of this laser show crap , it’s been run into the ground. I think he’s behind Cano , and Utley as a great second baseman , not near the range , or arm strength , or power of either of those two . While a good second baseman , but not in the class of the two above him . Sorry I rambled on , but let’s give the back bone of the Sox (Youkilis) his just dues.

9. Lans Downe - Aug 27, 2010 at 7:52 AM

I agree with the Youlilis love. And Pedroia is no Utley, but I believe he comparezs favorably with Cano, esp. in range and OBP.

10. YANKEES1996 - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I am a Yankees fan through and through but I do feel sorry for the Sox here, I really enjoy watching Pedroia play he is a gamer, hard nosed to the max. I don’t care what team they play for I really enjoy watching those type of guys play the game.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5359)