Stephen Strasburg expected to be shut down

Aug 26, 2010, 9:06 AM EST

Nothing particularly earth-shattering here, but according to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Nationals are expected to shut down Stephen Strasburg for the rest of the season.

Strasburg was diagnosed with a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm after leaving Saturday’s start against the Phillies in the fifth inning. An MRI on Sunday confirmed the initial diagnosis, but an MRI arthogram scheduled for later today should provide some additional clarity. According to Heyman, Strasburg will be shut down regardless of the results.

It sounds like the appropriate strategy. The Nationals aren’t a very good baseball team right now and they need Strasburg if they have any hope of changing that. Anything that can protect his arm for future seasons should be the No. 1 priority of the franchise.

1. Trevor B - Aug 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Glad to see a baseball team doing the right thing and protecting a young arm during what some might call a failed season but I’d consider to be a successful season for the Nats. They took a lot of giant leaps forward this year in my opinion and I wouldn’t be surprised if they were a winning ball club next year.

2. D.J. Short - Aug 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Agreed, Trevor. I’m a Mets fan, but I live in D.C., so I have found myself watching the Nationals pretty regularly. Really looking forward to Zimmermann’s start today.

3. BC - Aug 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM

No reason to call this a failed season for him. He’s proven he can overmatch most hitters. Just need to build him up and not completely wear him out.

4. Old Gator - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Compare that to the way the Feesh continue to try to decide if Ricky Nolasco will pitch on Sunday with his recently sustained medial meniscus tear. Would he even be effective if he could, favoring that knee with every pitch? And to risk worse injury? It’s almost as if they’re saying, “what the hell, he’s going to need the surgery anyway this offseason; so what if he needs another two months of rehab because we’re sending him out there?” The Feesh, having just transited back and forth across the strange attractor for the twenty first time this season, are going nowhere. If you’re going to dump salary, lose a quality player like Cody Ross in return for nothing because you are indeed going nowhere and have pretty much acknowledged it, what’s the point of risking your number two starter now? I mean, come on, Scrooge – you’ve already got your excuse to withdraw your offer to negotiate an extension with him.

5. BC - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM

A torn meniscus sucks. That, and it will cause you to alter your throwing motion. No reason to pitch Nolasco again. And no reason to pitch Strasberg with the strained tendon. Most important thing is to verify that it’s just strained, and then build up strength. I mean, do you care if your team wins 77 games instead of 74? Hey, I’m a Mets fan, I speak from experience…

6. Materialman - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Better to not ruin the kid like the Cubs did Kerry Wood.

7. BC - Aug 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM

More like Mark Prior. At least Kerry Wood has continued pitching in MLB.

8. Trevor B - Aug 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Yeah, I was worried Zimmermann was pitching way to soon in games but the Nat’s have really taken a responsible route here and kept his pitch counts low. It should be interesting to see how many they let him throw tonight. Have you heard anything about a pitch count for him tonight?
    Regardless I see good things for the Nats in seasons to come and honestly I think it’ll be lead by 2 guys who’s last name starts with Zimmerman(n).

9. Omega - Aug 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I was thinking of Wood and Prior too when the Nats brought this kid up. I am glad they are resting him for the rest of the season. I hope they have caught the problem in time and he can bounce back from this. I think he is going to be very exciting to watch in the coming years.

10. NicoSamuelson2 - Aug 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I hope they got Dibble’s permission first.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4657)
  2. M. Kemp (3704)
  3. M. Cabrera (2910)
  4. J. Kang (2700)
  5. M. Morse (2601)
  1. J. Upton (2579)
  2. A. Rios (2250)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2237)
  4. C. Headley (2189)