Aug 26, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
X-rays on Brandon Phillips’ injured right hand came back negative Thursday, and he’s expected to be available to play this weekend, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports.
Phillips was injured when he was hit by a Santiago Casilla pitch during the fifth inning of Wednesday’s game. He stayed in to run the bases, but he didn’t come back out to play defense.
The Reds’ current leadoff man, Phillips is hitting .290/.343/.458 in 520 at-bats this season. As surprisingly exceptional as both Paul Janish and Miguel Cairo have been in utility roles, the Reds certainly didn’t want to have to turn to either to replace their Gold Glove second baseman.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)