Aug 26, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
X-rays on Brandon Phillips’ injured right hand came back negative Thursday, and he’s expected to be available to play this weekend, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports.
Phillips was injured when he was hit by a Santiago Casilla pitch during the fifth inning of Wednesday’s game. He stayed in to run the bases, but he didn’t come back out to play defense.
The Reds’ current leadoff man, Phillips is hitting .290/.343/.458 in 520 at-bats this season. As surprisingly exceptional as both Paul Janish and Miguel Cairo have been in utility roles, the Reds certainly didn’t want to have to turn to either to replace their Gold Glove second baseman.
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 1
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 45
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (143)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)