Aug 26, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
X-rays on Brandon Phillips’ injured right hand came back negative Thursday, and he’s expected to be available to play this weekend, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports.
Phillips was injured when he was hit by a Santiago Casilla pitch during the fifth inning of Wednesday’s game. He stayed in to run the bases, but he didn’t come back out to play defense.
The Reds’ current leadoff man, Phillips is hitting .290/.343/.458 in 520 at-bats this season. As surprisingly exceptional as both Paul Janish and Miguel Cairo have been in utility roles, the Reds certainly didn’t want to have to turn to either to replace their Gold Glove second baseman.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)