Aug 26, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
X-rays on Brandon Phillips’ injured right hand came back negative Thursday, and he’s expected to be available to play this weekend, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports.
Phillips was injured when he was hit by a Santiago Casilla pitch during the fifth inning of Wednesday’s game. He stayed in to run the bases, but he didn’t come back out to play defense.
The Reds’ current leadoff man, Phillips is hitting .290/.343/.458 in 520 at-bats this season. As surprisingly exceptional as both Paul Janish and Miguel Cairo have been in utility roles, the Reds certainly didn’t want to have to turn to either to replace their Gold Glove second baseman.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)