Aug 26, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
X-rays on Brandon Phillips’ injured right hand came back negative Thursday, and he’s expected to be available to play this weekend, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports.
Phillips was injured when he was hit by a Santiago Casilla pitch during the fifth inning of Wednesday’s game. He stayed in to run the bases, but he didn’t come back out to play defense.
The Reds’ current leadoff man, Phillips is hitting .290/.343/.458 in 520 at-bats this season. As surprisingly exceptional as both Paul Janish and Miguel Cairo have been in utility roles, the Reds certainly didn’t want to have to turn to either to replace their Gold Glove second baseman.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)