Aug 26, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Yep, Manny Ramirez is still a Dodger, though probably not for long.
As you probably know by now, the Dodgers finally placed Ramirez on waivers yesterday. We’ve already heard a report from the Chicago Sun-Times that says the Dodgers have been scouting players in the White Sox minor league system, suggesting that a potential deal is “close.”
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times also hears that the Dodgers are indeed talking to the White Sox about a potential trade, while Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Manny has made it known “through friends” that he would accept a trade to the White Sox.
Sounds like a done deal, right? Well, maybe. You see, Ramirez finally showed some signs of life last night, going 2-for-2 with a pair of doubles, two walks and a run scored in a 5-4 win over the Brewers. The win helped the Dodgers move to within 5 1/2 games in the National League Wild Card. Sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the club might not trade Ramirez if they continue to jump in the standings. All this for nothing?
There are obviously many scenarios at play here, including one source who tells Rosenthal that Ramirez wants a one-year contract extension in order to waive his no-trade clause. Good luck with that, bud. The White Sox are widely expected to claim Ramirez off waivers and Rosenthal’s report does nothing to dispel that belief. The danger in letting him pass is that the Rays and even the Rangers — both teams with better records than Chicago — also have interest in Ramirez.
Just a reminder, teams have until Friday to place a claim. If Ramirez is claimed, the Dodgers would have until next Tuesday to work out a deal. If he passes through waivers, the deadline would be extended until midnight ET on Tuesday night, which just happens to be the deadline for setting postseason rosters. Should be an interesting few days ahead.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)