Aug 26, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Yep, Manny Ramirez is still a Dodger, though probably not for long.
As you probably know by now, the Dodgers finally placed Ramirez on waivers yesterday. We’ve already heard a report from the Chicago Sun-Times that says the Dodgers have been scouting players in the White Sox minor league system, suggesting that a potential deal is “close.”
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times also hears that the Dodgers are indeed talking to the White Sox about a potential trade, while Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Manny has made it known “through friends” that he would accept a trade to the White Sox.
Sounds like a done deal, right? Well, maybe. You see, Ramirez finally showed some signs of life last night, going 2-for-2 with a pair of doubles, two walks and a run scored in a 5-4 win over the Brewers. The win helped the Dodgers move to within 5 1/2 games in the National League Wild Card. Sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the club might not trade Ramirez if they continue to jump in the standings. All this for nothing?
There are obviously many scenarios at play here, including one source who tells Rosenthal that Ramirez wants a one-year contract extension in order to waive his no-trade clause. Good luck with that, bud. The White Sox are widely expected to claim Ramirez off waivers and Rosenthal’s report does nothing to dispel that belief. The danger in letting him pass is that the Rays and even the Rangers — both teams with better records than Chicago — also have interest in Ramirez.
Just a reminder, teams have until Friday to place a claim. If Ramirez is claimed, the Dodgers would have until next Tuesday to work out a deal. If he passes through waivers, the deadline would be extended until midnight ET on Tuesday night, which just happens to be the deadline for setting postseason rosters. Should be an interesting few days ahead.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)