Aug 26, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Yep, Manny Ramirez is still a Dodger, though probably not for long.
As you probably know by now, the Dodgers finally placed Ramirez on waivers yesterday. We’ve already heard a report from the Chicago Sun-Times that says the Dodgers have been scouting players in the White Sox minor league system, suggesting that a potential deal is “close.”
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times also hears that the Dodgers are indeed talking to the White Sox about a potential trade, while Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Manny has made it known “through friends” that he would accept a trade to the White Sox.
Sounds like a done deal, right? Well, maybe. You see, Ramirez finally showed some signs of life last night, going 2-for-2 with a pair of doubles, two walks and a run scored in a 5-4 win over the Brewers. The win helped the Dodgers move to within 5 1/2 games in the National League Wild Card. Sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the club might not trade Ramirez if they continue to jump in the standings. All this for nothing?
There are obviously many scenarios at play here, including one source who tells Rosenthal that Ramirez wants a one-year contract extension in order to waive his no-trade clause. Good luck with that, bud. The White Sox are widely expected to claim Ramirez off waivers and Rosenthal’s report does nothing to dispel that belief. The danger in letting him pass is that the Rays and even the Rangers — both teams with better records than Chicago — also have interest in Ramirez.
Just a reminder, teams have until Friday to place a claim. If Ramirez is claimed, the Dodgers would have until next Tuesday to work out a deal. If he passes through waivers, the deadline would be extended until midnight ET on Tuesday night, which just happens to be the deadline for setting postseason rosters. Should be an interesting few days ahead.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)