Aug 27, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
OK, our first thought was that Ambiorix Burgos being in “more legal trouble,” as the ESPN headline kindly puts it, probably wouldn’t be worthy of our readers’ time on such a newsy day.
But then again, we didn’t know yet that he had allegedly turned to rat poison to deal with his ex-wife.
Burgos, who saved 18 games for the Royals in 2006 and was last seen in the majors with the Mets in 2007, was previously accused in a hit-and-run accident that killed two women in the Dominican Republic in 2008. He was acquitted of the charges, however.
At last check, he was being jailed in New York for beating his girlfriend in a hotel near Shea Stadium in Sept. 2008. The 26-year-old spent six months in prison, and he was deported to the Dominican Republic after serving his time.
As for the latest incident, well, we’ll let Adam Rubin handle it:
Authorities say Burgos drugged his ex-wife with rat poison. She was found semi-conscious and dizzy and later hospitalized. Burgos was reportedly caught en route to Santo Domingo in his white Hummer with his ex-wife in the car. The ex-wife had been hiding in the district attorney’s home in Nagua, D.R., because of alleged threats on her life.
Here’s the Listin Diario report for our spanish-speaking readers.
Burgos is facing charges of kidnapping and attempted murder. If convicted, he faces up to 30 years in prison.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)