Aug 27, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
OK, our first thought was that Ambiorix Burgos being in “more legal trouble,” as the ESPN headline kindly puts it, probably wouldn’t be worthy of our readers’ time on such a newsy day.
But then again, we didn’t know yet that he had allegedly turned to rat poison to deal with his ex-wife.
Burgos, who saved 18 games for the Royals in 2006 and was last seen in the majors with the Mets in 2007, was previously accused in a hit-and-run accident that killed two women in the Dominican Republic in 2008. He was acquitted of the charges, however.
At last check, he was being jailed in New York for beating his girlfriend in a hotel near Shea Stadium in Sept. 2008. The 26-year-old spent six months in prison, and he was deported to the Dominican Republic after serving his time.
As for the latest incident, well, we’ll let Adam Rubin handle it:
Authorities say Burgos drugged his ex-wife with rat poison. She was found semi-conscious and dizzy and later hospitalized. Burgos was reportedly caught en route to Santo Domingo in his white Hummer with his ex-wife in the car. The ex-wife had been hiding in the district attorney’s home in Nagua, D.R., because of alleged threats on her life.
Here’s the Listin Diario report for our spanish-speaking readers.
Burgos is facing charges of kidnapping and attempted murder. If convicted, he faces up to 30 years in prison.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 50
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement