Brewers ace Yovani Gallardo robbed at gunpoint

Aug 27, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT

At approximately 2:30 am Friday morning, Yovani Gallardo and a Brewers clubhouse attendant were robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot of a Milwaukee supermarket, WTMJ Newsradio reports.
Both Gallardo and attendant Alex Sanchez were robbed of money and jewelry by a lone African American male. Sanchez was pistol-whipped by the assailant, but was not seriously injured. Gallardo was unhurt.
Gallardo was the losing pitcher as the Brewers were defeated by the Dodgers on Thursday. He gave up six runs in 6 1/3 innings to fall to 11-6 with a 3.50 ERA for the season.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Tell me again why Plaxico Burress is in jail…when you take the guns away from everyone, only the criminals get to use them.

2. MuskyHunter2542 - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM

WOW!!! Bodes well for Milwaukee

3. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Of course it’s always that simple.

4. El Bravo - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM

are you implying Gallardo should have been packing heat coming from the stadium?

5. JBerardi - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Yeah, everyone should have guns. Granted, there’ll be more gun crimes, but people will be able to defend themselves! With their guns! And what a utopia that world will be, what with the frequent, random gun battles in baseball stadiums at whatnot… I can’t wait.

6. BCTF - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM

What his is saying is that if Gallardo or the attendant was carrying a firearm legally they could have stopped this from happening. Hopfully they would be good shots so the govt would only have to pay $500 for cremation rather than a trial and a spot in jail for five years.

7. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I forgot how many pinko libs there were on this board. People don’t kill people…it’s the gun’s fault. I’m sorry.

8. GP - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM

If memory serves, Plexiglass was carrying that gun illegaly? Follow the rules, have the gun. Don’t follow the rules, pay the penalty. Seems reasonable to me.

9. JBerardi - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Yeah, or they could be poor shots and gotten themselves and/or innocent bystanders killed…

10. JBerardi - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM

People kill people, nuclear weapons don’t kill people. Therefor, everyone should be allowed to own nuclear weapons if they so choose. I mean, it’s not the nuke’s fault…

11. Reflex - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM

First off, I support the right to bear arms.
    That said, I’ve had two situations that were dangerous to myself, and in neither of them would a gun have helped. The first one was when I came home and there was a burglar in my house. I walked in, he was standing at the back door. We stared at each other and then he took off running out the back door. A gun would not have helped me, if I had had one and fired I would have been put on trial for murder. And rightfully so.
    The second time I was mugged by two youths on my way home from work. Once they realized I wasn’t going down easy(they hit me with a taser and I didn’t fall) they took off running. If I had pulled a gun I would have been put on trial for murder, as thier assault was non-lethal. A gun is only legal to use if your life is actually in danger.
    So I could not have prevented a home invasion. I could not have prevented a mugging. The idea that guns are some sort of universal self-protection against crime is simple-minded at best. They *can* solve a situation, but they can also escalate it, or get used inappropriatly.
    In this situation a gun likely could have been used as one had been pulled already. That said, if he had pulled one one or both of them would be likely dead as the robber had the drop on them.

12. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM

LOL, yeah that’s the exact same thing. Now excuse me while I go to the other liberal pinko post, where everyone who usually kneels at the altar of Kings Albert and Tony are ripping them new a-holes. I needed a little hilarity to keep me awake on Friday afternoon. Nothing makes me laugh more than self-righteous liberals…except maybe self-righteous liberal Braves fans.

13. bbeer - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM

first he pitches like he did yesterday then he gets robbed? not Yo’s best day…thank god he’s alright though…
    go brewers

14. ThatGuy - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Slightly off on that, in the vast majority of states you only need to percieve your life is in danger. If your being robbed with a water gun that looks real, your well within your rights to shoot to kill as the perception at the time is that the water gun is real and your life is in danger, even if it never was because it was a water gun. Although a few states( Wisconsin and Montana come to mind, but there are others) have whats commonly known as the castle doctrine. This makes it perfectly legal to use deadly force on any home invader, whether or not they are armed or your life is in danger.

15. nmc - Aug 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM

That’s too bad. It’s a heavily Latino area of the city with delicious authentic food, I’ve never had a problem there. 2:30a may be a different situation, however.

16. Giant Space Ants - Aug 27, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Nothing good happens at night at a …Milwaukee supermarket? Eh, it’ll do.

17. JBerardi - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM

What’s the difference, then, if the weapon isn’t at fault whatsoever? Where do you draw the line, and why?

18. Jess_Ball - Aug 28, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Question for those familiar with the city – I am still confused; is this the Jalisco restaurant, or supermarket? I’ve stopped following the reports, but the one I’m thinking of is on Cesar Chavez.
    I’m seeing a few variations on this, but I heard the attack occurred at the ATM nearby. If anyone can clear this up (that it isn’t the Supermarket on Lincoln), it’d be a big help.
    I hope Yo’ will have better luck in the future – you can’t deny someone the awesomeness of getting a bite to eat late at night with friends.

19. Jess_Ball - Aug 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Hey – speaking of guns… My take on this whole thing is that it isn’t as cut-and-dry (the idea of self-defense). It isn’t the person or the gun. It’s the fact that a gun is like a drug. When someone with an addictive personality, or someone with a skewed view on the value of human life gets a weapon, it calls to them.
    I went to this party and I figured I knew just about everyone. All of the sudden, just as I was leaving, I heard all of these gunshots! I later learned it was the brother of the landlord who was let go of his police duties. He was waving it around, and then proceeded to shoot himself in the foot. Then he started sobbing and said he didn’t know what the hell was going on. (And my friends had to move afterward because the place was deemed unsafe).
    I’m also sensitive to the idea because a grad student from the school I went to a few years back went on a spree. I couldn’t believe it was happening when I saw it on the news. It’s like the weapon calls to a person, and a person responds. Should everyone be allowed to have one? There isn’t an answer that’d make everyone happy. My stance is that it’s better to do without, and I guess this is where personal bias steps in. I was raised to hate guns.
    *Does the idea that people can become addicted to weapons make sense to anyone else? This goes beyond politics, for sure! After reading comments from people who feel it is part of a lifestyle, and have a firm belief in this type of protection, I notice that intensity levels go up; that some people become ecstatic almost, any chance they have to talk about the idea. This was about Gallardo, and the discussion turned into a self-defense debate. I’m going out on a limb, maybe, but this talk resembles the way people act when they are thinking about gambling.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet