Carlos Beltran would be open to a trade

Aug 27, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT

According to David Lennon of Newsday, Carlos Beltran indicated that he would consider waiving his no-trade clause this winter. Newsday has that pesky paywall, so go ahead and read the full story here.

“I have to,” Beltran said. “I have to do what’s best for me and they
have to do what’s best for them. I want to win. I want to win a
championship before I’m gone from this game, so I have to listen to them
and what they have to say. If it works for everybody, then it works for
everybody. Right now, I’m not thinking about that. Let’s just hope next
year we can be better.”

There’s a certain segment of Mets fans that have never liked Beltran at all, so I can only imagine what the conversation will be on New York sports talk radio after hearing this.

Beltran, who underwent right knee surgery in January, is batting just .222/.336/.333 with two home runs, 14 RBI and a 669 OPS over 126 at-bats this season. In addition to his lack of production at the plate, he also hasn’t looked nearly as spry in center field with that anchor of a knee brace has has to wear.

Believe it or not, next year is the final year of his seven-year, $119 million contract. Even if the 33-year-old enjoys a fantastic finish this season, the Mets would likely have to take on a substantial portion of his $18.5 million salary for next season in a potential trade.

1. Dannyb712003 - Aug 27, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I am so glad the Astros did not sign him but we did get Carlos Lee I don’t know witch is worse?

2. mike wants wins - Aug 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Wow, that’s a lot of money. IF he can recover his speed, any contendor should be interested, if they can get the Mets to pay part of the price. I assume he’d still cover more ground than Delmon Young or Michael Cuddeyer……

3. Simon DelMonte - Aug 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Never got how people don’t care for Beltran (though I think some of it is part of the racist nonsense about “Omar only likes Latinos). In his prime, he was a great player, a talented outfielder and strong hitter who, while never quite as good as that one amazing stretch in Houston, had been a steady presence till his injuries. And he gives it his all, as we saw last year when came back too soon because he wanted to play.
    Was the contract too big? Maybe. Too long? Yes. But his arrival made the Mets matter for a few years, leading to the arrival of Pedro and the 2006 season. I like him and will miss him if he leaves. Not that trading him would necessarily be bad if they can get prospects for someone whose body might never be up to it again. And not that I blame him for wanting to move on, after the mess that was made of his treatment. But I will always be glad he came.

4. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM

To say that someone would be “open to a trade” from Minaya’s Mutts is like saying that a passenger on the Titanic would be “open to” a lifeboat.

5. BC - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Good riddance.

6. Benny Blanco - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I doubt David Wright wants to leave the Mets. But you keep hating Gator. It’ll make your feesh that much better.

7. Benny Blanco - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I always liked Beltran, but if the Mets can get a starting pitcher and a prospect or 2, I think most Met fans wouldnt mind seeing Beltran go.

8. matt - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM

As a Phillies fan I always thought he was somewhat overrated. He also came across as a sulking and moping kind of guy I wouldnt want in my clubhouse. Those kind of guys just drag the life out of everything. He’s obviously talented, but I didn’t see that he impacted the Mets positively in relation to the size of his contract. Time for the Mets to clean that cancer-ridden clubhouse out and start over.

9. Benny Blanco - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM

No one would have agreed with you in 06 and 07 (prior to the collapse anyway)

10. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Nothing will improve the Feesh under the present ownership. Nothing. That’s the real source of my bitterness. And I would say the same thing about any number of Feesh who realize that their only hope of being paid market price for their talents is to play their way out of there.
    That, and before I moved to Macondo for the air conditioning, I grew up a Mutts fan. I was sitting fifty feet from Bill Buckner when the ball went through his legs. I was sitting in the same spot for the “ball off the wall play” in 1973. On and on. It kills me to see what’s happening to the team of my childhood.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4880)