Aug 27, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
According to David Lennon of Newsday, Carlos Beltran indicated that he would consider waiving his no-trade clause this winter. Newsday has that pesky paywall, so go ahead and read the full story here.
“I have to,” Beltran said. “I have to do what’s best for me and they
have to do what’s best for them. I want to win. I want to win a
championship before I’m gone from this game, so I have to listen to them
and what they have to say. If it works for everybody, then it works for
everybody. Right now, I’m not thinking about that. Let’s just hope next
year we can be better.”
There’s a certain segment of Mets fans that have never liked Beltran at all, so I can only imagine what the conversation will be on New York sports talk radio after hearing this.
Beltran, who underwent right knee surgery in January, is batting just .222/.336/.333 with two home runs, 14 RBI and a 669 OPS over 126 at-bats this season. In addition to his lack of production at the plate, he also hasn’t looked nearly as spry in center field with that anchor of a knee brace has has to wear.
Believe it or not, next year is the final year of his seven-year, $119 million contract. Even if the 33-year-old enjoys a fantastic finish this season, the Mets would likely have to take on a substantial portion of his $18.5 million salary for next season in a potential trade.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)