Does Rob Dibble still think Stephen Strasburg should "suck it up" and "stop crying"?

Aug 27, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT

I hope Rob Dibble feels about as good as he announces right now.
Dibble, who serves as the Nationals’ television analyst, made headlines for saying during a radio interview that Stephen Strasburg should “suck it up” and pitch through the arm pain that knocked him out of Saturday’s start.
Dibble’s anti-Strasburg rant included all sorts of cringe-worthy statements–all of which were particularly absurd given his own lengthy injury history–but here are some of the “highlights”:

OK, you throw a pitch, it bothers your arm, and you immediately call out the manager and the trainer? Suck it up, kid. This is your profession. You chose to be a baseball player. You can’t have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow. Stop crying. Go out there and pitch, period.

Turns out, that “little sore elbow” was a significantly torn UCL and requires Tommy John surgery. Of course, Dibble couldn’t have had any way of knowing that. Except he also claimed to know “exactly what the doctor who looked at Strasburg had said.”
Later, after he’d been criticized for his comments, Dibble lashed out at “bloggers”:

I’ve been playing baseball since I was six years old, so that’s 40 years I’ve been on a baseball field and around a baseball field, and so our opinions are formulated through facts, not fiction, not their little chat room jargon. And so they can try and twist it any way they want, and if a guy’s hurt, he’s hurt, he’s going to go on the disabled list, it’s a moot point, but if he’s not hurt get your butt out there and play. They’re two totally different scenarios, so, you know, stick to what you know, which is nothing, and stick to your little blogs.

To recap: Based on his 40 years of experience and opinions “formulated through facts, not fiction, not their little chat room jargon” Dibble concluded that a 21-year-old pitcher with a torn elbow ligament should “suck it up” and “stop crying” because “you can’t have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little sore elbow.”
My hope for Strasburg, the Nationals, and their fans is first and foremost that he makes a full recovery and comes back stronger than ever in 2012. Beyond that, it sure would be nice if by the time Strasburg does return Dibble isn’t still spewing his special brand of macho garbage and grunt-filled commentary from the broadcast booth.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Rob Dibble is a bullying idiot. I hope they fire him now…not at the end of the season, but now. I can’t imagine anybody on the Nationals having any respect for the guy.

2. geoknows - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Good thing Dibble is taking a couple of days off; it would be difficult for him to call today’s game with his foot in his mouth.

3. BC - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM

He’s TERRIBLE. Dibble should NOT be on the radio.

4. El Bravo - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again: dude totally dibbles balls. I know this is meaningless now, but if everyone starts using it then it becomes a true word. I’ll use in a sentence: Rob Dibble dibbles balls every chance he can get because he’s a ball dibblin’ sonofabitch. You see? It’s like motorboatin’ but…balls

5. mike wants wins - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Like anyone outside Nat’s land needed this as proof of Dibble’s qualifications to be on the radio. Not sure what the Nats see in him, but I think everyone else knew he was a blow hard, bad announcer, before this incident. Of course, I have zero years of experience as an announcer, so what do I know (other than, as a listener, I find him unlistenable….).

6. El Bravo - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

ps. dibble is a true word, just not in this context. with or powers combined…

7. Food - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Brilliant. Sorta like Santorum with less feces.

8. Utley's hair - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Though he seemed to be less oblivious, Mitch Williams made many of the same points on MLB Network the other night. So, in his defense, Dibbl-itated Rob wasn’t the only one to make such remarks, but he was the only one idiotic enough to make them about his own team’s wunderkind.

9. El Bravo - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Why that is a great analogy Mr. Food. Smag?

10. John_Michael - Aug 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

But, then again, Dibbs has a lot of tatoos. So I won’t question him…to his face anway.

11. eph521 - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Dibble is old school and I’m sure in his circle of friends his macho approach gets him praise and credit. You can’t blame him.
    I think if he knew that the kid was seriously injured, he would never said those things. In fact, he even said that if someone is injured they’d be on the disabled list.
    Wow, I sound like I’m apologizing for him.

12. Adenzeno - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I hope Rob Dibble feels about as good as he announces right now.
    Good should be well in this sentence, no?

13. JBerardi - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM

“I’ve been playing baseball since I was six years old, so that’s 40 years I’ve been on a baseball field and around a baseball field, and so our opinions are formulated through facts, not fiction, not their little chat room jargon.”

Classic. “My argument is based on FACTS, you stupid little bloggers, I just don’t care to mention any specific, you know, facts. But it’s based on facts!

14. RedsGhost - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Dibble,Dibble..the name sounds vaguely familiar….didn’t he play inh the minors for a while? Just curious cause he’s never made a dent or a mark in the Major Leagues.

15. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I agree. Dump Dibble. Let’s bring back Rush Limbaugh.

16. THE godfather - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I just love when people use the word Facts when they try to explain their opinion. He’s an idiot that should be canned.

17. ALH - Aug 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM

This IS the same Rob Dibble who used to throw 100mph baseballs into crowded stands for the hell of it, remember. If the owner of his Cincinnati Reds teams hadn’t been the even more loathsome, Nazi-memorabilia collector Marge Schott, Dibble’s “forty-year” career in baseball might’ve been a good deal shorter.

18. NW Jon - Aug 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Oh no, not Rush! How about Jim Bunning? Isn’t that where Dibble got his opinion on pitchers being babies? Plus, Jim is retiring soon from a job that involved nothing but empty talk.

19. Jess_Ball - Aug 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM

It took Rob Dibble 5 years to get through the Cincinnati minor league system despite being a coveted young player. Then here comes Stras’, who surprises a lot of analysts because he’s got the secondary pitches and command over them.
    Dibble has to harbor the same jealousy Bunning has shown. Bunning had to take care of some of his shortcomings differently. Razor-Blades, belt-buckles or tacks, so he could keep throwing it really, really hard and get that movement. It’s understandable when you pitch every other day and want to sustain your career. But did Bunning have the talent?
    Both of those guys are jealous. And Strasburg is in a good position to succeed in 2012. I know next season might be pretty bland for Nats fans, but something good has to happen. For starters – isn’t Dibble’s contract up next year?

20. Coach - Aug 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Old Gator, after your racist rants yesterday in regards to the Phillies outfielder I would think you would keep your idiotic comments to yourself. I would rather listen to a jerk like Dibble than read your racist and incindiary jargon. You and Limbaugh have a lot in common – none other than you’re a couple of blowhards who will say anything to be heard.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5177)