Aug 27, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Nothing like kicking a man when he’s down. But it is Jay Mariotti, after all.
White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was on a panel with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts on Friday at a WGN Radio event called “The Business of Sports” when asked about the former Sun-Times writer.
As the Tribune quotes:
“Jay Mariotti was and is a pissant,” Reinsdorf said as the place filled with laughter. “A lot of the people who were laughing here probably have no idea what that means. You can look it up in the dictionary; it has a very definite meaning.”
We’re sure it does, but we’ll just assume that it’s not a very nice thing to say about someone. Nor was it particularly nice the first time he said it a couple of years ago.
I was pleased. Honestly, it was not a big thing in my life. I mean, he’s a piss ant. Jay Mariotti, he never really affected me, and he certainly didn’t affect the opinions of our fans. When you take a negative guy like that out of the mix it’s a positive. I don’t mind him writing negative things as long as it’s a legitimate opinion. He had a habit of writing things that just weren’t true. That was the annoying thing about him.
Regardless, for someone having no significance at all, Mariotti managed to get under Reinsdorf’s skin to the point at which he’s still talking about him years later. And that was a big part of Mariotti’s goal in the first place.
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 11
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29