Aug 27, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
Nothing like kicking a man when he’s down. But it is Jay Mariotti, after all.
White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was on a panel with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts on Friday at a WGN Radio event called “The Business of Sports” when asked about the former Sun-Times writer.
As the Tribune quotes:
“Jay Mariotti was and is a pissant,” Reinsdorf said as the place filled with laughter. “A lot of the people who were laughing here probably have no idea what that means. You can look it up in the dictionary; it has a very definite meaning.”
We’re sure it does, but we’ll just assume that it’s not a very nice thing to say about someone. Nor was it particularly nice the first time he said it a couple of years ago.
I was pleased. Honestly, it was not a big thing in my life. I mean, he’s a piss ant. Jay Mariotti, he never really affected me, and he certainly didn’t affect the opinions of our fans. When you take a negative guy like that out of the mix it’s a positive. I don’t mind him writing negative things as long as it’s a legitimate opinion. He had a habit of writing things that just weren’t true. That was the annoying thing about him.
Regardless, for someone having no significance at all, Mariotti managed to get under Reinsdorf’s skin to the point at which he’s still talking about him years later. And that was a big part of Mariotti’s goal in the first place.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)