Aug 27, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Nothing like kicking a man when he’s down. But it is Jay Mariotti, after all.
White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was on a panel with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts on Friday at a WGN Radio event called “The Business of Sports” when asked about the former Sun-Times writer.
As the Tribune quotes:
“Jay Mariotti was and is a pissant,” Reinsdorf said as the place filled with laughter. “A lot of the people who were laughing here probably have no idea what that means. You can look it up in the dictionary; it has a very definite meaning.”
We’re sure it does, but we’ll just assume that it’s not a very nice thing to say about someone. Nor was it particularly nice the first time he said it a couple of years ago.
I was pleased. Honestly, it was not a big thing in my life. I mean, he’s a piss ant. Jay Mariotti, he never really affected me, and he certainly didn’t affect the opinions of our fans. When you take a negative guy like that out of the mix it’s a positive. I don’t mind him writing negative things as long as it’s a legitimate opinion. He had a habit of writing things that just weren’t true. That was the annoying thing about him.
Regardless, for someone having no significance at all, Mariotti managed to get under Reinsdorf’s skin to the point at which he’s still talking about him years later. And that was a big part of Mariotti’s goal in the first place.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)