Aug 27, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
Nothing like kicking a man when he’s down. But it is Jay Mariotti, after all.
White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was on a panel with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts on Friday at a WGN Radio event called “The Business of Sports” when asked about the former Sun-Times writer.
As the Tribune quotes:
“Jay Mariotti was and is a pissant,” Reinsdorf said as the place filled with laughter. “A lot of the people who were laughing here probably have no idea what that means. You can look it up in the dictionary; it has a very definite meaning.”
We’re sure it does, but we’ll just assume that it’s not a very nice thing to say about someone. Nor was it particularly nice the first time he said it a couple of years ago.
I was pleased. Honestly, it was not a big thing in my life. I mean, he’s a piss ant. Jay Mariotti, he never really affected me, and he certainly didn’t affect the opinions of our fans. When you take a negative guy like that out of the mix it’s a positive. I don’t mind him writing negative things as long as it’s a legitimate opinion. He had a habit of writing things that just weren’t true. That was the annoying thing about him.
Regardless, for someone having no significance at all, Mariotti managed to get under Reinsdorf’s skin to the point at which he’s still talking about him years later. And that was a big part of Mariotti’s goal in the first place.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)