Aug 27, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
Traded from Cleveland to Detroit last month, Jhonny Peralta said yesterday that he’d like to remain with the Tigers next season:
I want to be here. I hope they pick up the option. But I want to be here. I like everybody here.
That comes as no surprise, because “the option” is for $7 million and that’s likely significantly more than Peralta would fetch for next season on the open market.
Peralta has shifted back to shortstop for the Tigers after playing primarily third base for the Indians, but few teams are likely to view him as a legitimate option defensively at shortstop and his .244/.310/.405 hitting line in 116 total games this season is hardly good production from a third baseman. And he was even worse last year, hitting a career-low .254/.316/.375 in 151 games.
If the Tigers want him back for 2011 they can certainly accomplish that for less than $7 million, although it’s possible they could decide to pick up the option just to avoid being pressured into a multi-year commitment.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 4
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?