Aug 27, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
As he prepares for Tommy John surgery, Stephen Strasburg should have plenty of time to catch up on his reading. He might want to start with the blog of another young pitcher going through the same thing: Kris Medlen.
Medlen opened the season in Atlanta’s bullpen before moving into the rotation in place of an injured Jair Jurrjens in May and outperforming Kenshin Kawakami to earn a permanent spot. Unfortunately, he hurt his elbow earlier this month and underwent Tommy John surgery after going 6-2 with a 3.68 ERA in 107 2/3 innings for the Braves.
The 24-year-old Medlen plans to chronicle his rehab over the next several months. He made his first blog entry Thursday, eight days after undergoing the procedure:
I look like a mummy…. And I could smell like one too. Can’t get the arm and leg wet yet. Have you ever tried to shower without getting your right arm and left leg wet??? I won’t go into to many details, but the kitchen sink is good for more than just washing dishes!
Medlen probably has a better chance of pitching in major league games next year than Strasburg does. Not only will he have gotten started on his rehab a few weeks earlier, but given his history out of the pen, the Braves won’t be afraid to have him return as a reliever. If his first entry is any indication, it’s going to be awfully difficult to hold him back.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)