Aug 27, 2010, 4:43 PM EDT
Ted Lilly, who has gone 5-0 with a 1.83 ERA since the Dodgers picked him up from the Cubs before the July 31 deadline, has been placed on revocable waivers, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
It’s just like the Manny Ramirez situation, in that that Dodgers would have the opportunity to get a trade done with the team awarded a claim on his services.
In this case, though, there’s no real chance that Lilly will clear waivers or even make it through the NL. Lilly has just over $2 million left on his contract, so even the long shot NL teams on the brink of contention: the Mets, Marlins and Rockies included, could put in claims before teams like the Phillies or Cardinals even have a shot.
The Dodges are just five games back in the wild card themselves, so there’s a good chance they’ll just end up holding on to him. GM Ned Colletti told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale Friday that he’s “not inclined to move anyone so long as we have a chance.”
The Dodgers should have interest in re-signing Lilly this winter anyway, and it’s possible they’ll get draft picks if he leaves, though that would require the somewhat risky move of offering him arbitration.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)