Aug 27, 2010, 4:43 PM EDT
Ted Lilly, who has gone 5-0 with a 1.83 ERA since the Dodgers picked him up from the Cubs before the July 31 deadline, has been placed on revocable waivers, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
It’s just like the Manny Ramirez situation, in that that Dodgers would have the opportunity to get a trade done with the team awarded a claim on his services.
In this case, though, there’s no real chance that Lilly will clear waivers or even make it through the NL. Lilly has just over $2 million left on his contract, so even the long shot NL teams on the brink of contention: the Mets, Marlins and Rockies included, could put in claims before teams like the Phillies or Cardinals even have a shot.
The Dodges are just five games back in the wild card themselves, so there’s a good chance they’ll just end up holding on to him. GM Ned Colletti told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale Friday that he’s “not inclined to move anyone so long as we have a chance.”
The Dodgers should have interest in re-signing Lilly this winter anyway, and it’s possible they’ll get draft picks if he leaves, though that would require the somewhat risky move of offering him arbitration.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)