Aug 27, 2010, 4:43 PM EDT
Ted Lilly, who has gone 5-0 with a 1.83 ERA since the Dodgers picked him up from the Cubs before the July 31 deadline, has been placed on revocable waivers, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
It’s just like the Manny Ramirez situation, in that that Dodgers would have the opportunity to get a trade done with the team awarded a claim on his services.
In this case, though, there’s no real chance that Lilly will clear waivers or even make it through the NL. Lilly has just over $2 million left on his contract, so even the long shot NL teams on the brink of contention: the Mets, Marlins and Rockies included, could put in claims before teams like the Phillies or Cardinals even have a shot.
The Dodges are just five games back in the wild card themselves, so there’s a good chance they’ll just end up holding on to him. GM Ned Colletti told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale Friday that he’s “not inclined to move anyone so long as we have a chance.”
The Dodgers should have interest in re-signing Lilly this winter anyway, and it’s possible they’ll get draft picks if he leaves, though that would require the somewhat risky move of offering him arbitration.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)