Aug 27, 2010, 4:43 PM EDT
Ted Lilly, who has gone 5-0 with a 1.83 ERA since the Dodgers picked him up from the Cubs before the July 31 deadline, has been placed on revocable waivers, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
It’s just like the Manny Ramirez situation, in that that Dodgers would have the opportunity to get a trade done with the team awarded a claim on his services.
In this case, though, there’s no real chance that Lilly will clear waivers or even make it through the NL. Lilly has just over $2 million left on his contract, so even the long shot NL teams on the brink of contention: the Mets, Marlins and Rockies included, could put in claims before teams like the Phillies or Cardinals even have a shot.
The Dodges are just five games back in the wild card themselves, so there’s a good chance they’ll just end up holding on to him. GM Ned Colletti told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale Friday that he’s “not inclined to move anyone so long as we have a chance.”
The Dodgers should have interest in re-signing Lilly this winter anyway, and it’s possible they’ll get draft picks if he leaves, though that would require the somewhat risky move of offering him arbitration.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)