Aug 27, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT
Earlier this week the Reds hinted about possibly shutting Mike Leake down for the season and this afternoon they placed the 22-year-old rookie on the disabled list with a “fatigued right shoulder.”
Leake has already thrown 138.1 innings this season after skipping the minors to join the Opening Day rotation, so the Reds moved him to the bullpen last week in an effort to limit his workload. Leake struggled in two relief outings, including giving up six runs while recording one out Tuesday.
Since going 5-0 with a 2.22 ERA through his first 11 starts Leake has allowed 55 runs in 66 innings, during which time opponents have hit .336 with a .560 slugging percentage. Toss in the Reds’ sudden logjam of capable starters and giving him a break was a pretty easy call.
It’ll be interesting to see if they give him a shot to contribute at some point next month or if the Reds no longer have Leake in their playoff plans.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 7
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 133
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (132)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)