Aug 27, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT
With his rehab from surgery to repair a torn labrum progressing well, Gregg Zaun intends to return for his age-40 season next year.
Zaun signed a $1.9 million deal over the winter to replace Jason Kendall as the Brewers’ primary catcher. He opened the season by hitting .265/.350/.392 in 28 games, but he landed on the DL in late May with a sore shoulder and underwent surgery soon thereafter. At the time, he weighed retirement.
“I had my doubts when the injury occurred,” Zaun told FOXSports.com. “Based on conversations with friends who’d had the same procedure, I was skeptical. Now, I am thinking that my arm might be better than ever. It should be structurally sound for the first time in a decade.”
If that’s the case, Zaun shouldn’t have much trouble finding work. The Brewers probably won’t exercise their $2.25 million option on his services for 2011, but they could well be interested in having him back as a part-timer.
Should Zaun come back and play a major role next season, he’d join a very exclusive club. Only three players have caught at least 80 games in a season after turning 40: Carlton Fisk (three times, ages 41-43), Bob Boone (twice, ages 40-41) and Deacon McGuire (age 40).
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)