Aug 27, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT
With his rehab from surgery to repair a torn labrum progressing well, Gregg Zaun intends to return for his age-40 season next year.
Zaun signed a $1.9 million deal over the winter to replace Jason Kendall as the Brewers’ primary catcher. He opened the season by hitting .265/.350/.392 in 28 games, but he landed on the DL in late May with a sore shoulder and underwent surgery soon thereafter. At the time, he weighed retirement.
“I had my doubts when the injury occurred,” Zaun told FOXSports.com. “Based on conversations with friends who’d had the same procedure, I was skeptical. Now, I am thinking that my arm might be better than ever. It should be structurally sound for the first time in a decade.”
If that’s the case, Zaun shouldn’t have much trouble finding work. The Brewers probably won’t exercise their $2.25 million option on his services for 2011, but they could well be interested in having him back as a part-timer.
Should Zaun come back and play a major role next season, he’d join a very exclusive club. Only three players have caught at least 80 games in a season after turning 40: Carlton Fisk (three times, ages 41-43), Bob Boone (twice, ages 40-41) and Deacon McGuire (age 40).
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)