Aug 27, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT
With his rehab from surgery to repair a torn labrum progressing well, Gregg Zaun intends to return for his age-40 season next year.
Zaun signed a $1.9 million deal over the winter to replace Jason Kendall as the Brewers’ primary catcher. He opened the season by hitting .265/.350/.392 in 28 games, but he landed on the DL in late May with a sore shoulder and underwent surgery soon thereafter. At the time, he weighed retirement.
“I had my doubts when the injury occurred,” Zaun told FOXSports.com. “Based on conversations with friends who’d had the same procedure, I was skeptical. Now, I am thinking that my arm might be better than ever. It should be structurally sound for the first time in a decade.”
If that’s the case, Zaun shouldn’t have much trouble finding work. The Brewers probably won’t exercise their $2.25 million option on his services for 2011, but they could well be interested in having him back as a part-timer.
Should Zaun come back and play a major role next season, he’d join a very exclusive club. Only three players have caught at least 80 games in a season after turning 40: Carlton Fisk (three times, ages 41-43), Bob Boone (twice, ages 40-41) and Deacon McGuire (age 40).
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)