Aug 27, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT
With his rehab from surgery to repair a torn labrum progressing well, Gregg Zaun intends to return for his age-40 season next year.
Zaun signed a $1.9 million deal over the winter to replace Jason Kendall as the Brewers’ primary catcher. He opened the season by hitting .265/.350/.392 in 28 games, but he landed on the DL in late May with a sore shoulder and underwent surgery soon thereafter. At the time, he weighed retirement.
“I had my doubts when the injury occurred,” Zaun told FOXSports.com. “Based on conversations with friends who’d had the same procedure, I was skeptical. Now, I am thinking that my arm might be better than ever. It should be structurally sound for the first time in a decade.”
If that’s the case, Zaun shouldn’t have much trouble finding work. The Brewers probably won’t exercise their $2.25 million option on his services for 2011, but they could well be interested in having him back as a part-timer.
Should Zaun come back and play a major role next season, he’d join a very exclusive club. Only three players have caught at least 80 games in a season after turning 40: Carlton Fisk (three times, ages 41-43), Bob Boone (twice, ages 40-41) and Deacon McGuire (age 40).
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights