Aug 27, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rays will sign Brad Hawpe.
Hawpe, 31, was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week after batting just .255/.343/.432 with seven home runs and 37 RBI. The Rangers, Red Sox and Padres were also rumored to have varying degrees of interest.
Hawpe is no Manny Ramirez, but he figures to be an low-risk upgrade for a team whose designated hitters have combined to bat just .238/.314/.370 with nine homers and a 670 OPS this season. Though defense isn’t his strong suit, he is also capable of playing the outfield and first base.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 0
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 53
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games