Aug 27, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rays will sign Brad Hawpe.
Hawpe, 31, was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week after batting just .255/.343/.432 with seven home runs and 37 RBI. The Rangers, Red Sox and Padres were also rumored to have varying degrees of interest.
Hawpe is no Manny Ramirez, but he figures to be an low-risk upgrade for a team whose designated hitters have combined to bat just .238/.314/.370 with nine homers and a 670 OPS this season. Though defense isn’t his strong suit, he is also capable of playing the outfield and first base.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)