Aug 27, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rays will sign Brad Hawpe.
Hawpe, 31, was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week after batting just .255/.343/.432 with seven home runs and 37 RBI. The Rangers, Red Sox and Padres were also rumored to have varying degrees of interest.
Hawpe is no Manny Ramirez, but he figures to be an low-risk upgrade for a team whose designated hitters have combined to bat just .238/.314/.370 with nine homers and a 670 OPS this season. Though defense isn’t his strong suit, he is also capable of playing the outfield and first base.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)