Aug 27, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rays will sign Brad Hawpe.
Hawpe, 31, was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week after batting just .255/.343/.432 with seven home runs and 37 RBI. The Rangers, Red Sox and Padres were also rumored to have varying degrees of interest.
Hawpe is no Manny Ramirez, but he figures to be an low-risk upgrade for a team whose designated hitters have combined to bat just .238/.314/.370 with nine homers and a 670 OPS this season. Though defense isn’t his strong suit, he is also capable of playing the outfield and first base.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)