Aug 27, 2010, 11:09 AM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rays will sign Brad Hawpe.
Hawpe, 31, was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week after batting just .255/.343/.432 with seven home runs and 37 RBI. The Rangers, Red Sox and Padres were also rumored to have varying degrees of interest.
Hawpe is no Manny Ramirez, but he figures to be an low-risk upgrade for a team whose designated hitters have combined to bat just .238/.314/.370 with nine homers and a 670 OPS this season. Though defense isn’t his strong suit, he is also capable of playing the outfield and first base.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)