Aug 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark tweets that the White Sox have been awarded a waiver claim on Manny Ramirez. They would have until Tuesday to work out a deal with the Dodgers.
MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan is reporting that the Rangers claimed Ramirez, but the White Sox had the higher priority by virtue of their inferior record. Stark also believes the Rays put in a claim, though others have disputed that.
The Dodgers can now hammer out a trade with the White Sox or let Ramirez go on waivers. The belief is that the White Sox are willing to give up some talent in order to land the slugger, though it’s doubtful that they’ll part with any of their top few prospects. If nothing can be agreed to prior to Tuesday’s deadline, Ramirez would presumably finish the season with the Dodgers, though the team could always release him.
If the White Sox land Ramirez, he’d likely become their primary designated hitter, leaving Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay with smaller roles. That’d force the White Sox to keep Carlos Quentin in right field most of the time rather than rest him in the DH spot. But it seems like a worthy sacrifice to add a still-productive 12-time All-Star. Ramirez is hitting .313/.407/.513 in 195 at-bats this season.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 0
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 36
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)