Aug 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark tweets that the White Sox have been awarded a waiver claim on Manny Ramirez. They would have until Tuesday to work out a deal with the Dodgers.
MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan is reporting that the Rangers claimed Ramirez, but the White Sox had the higher priority by virtue of their inferior record. Stark also believes the Rays put in a claim, though others have disputed that.
The Dodgers can now hammer out a trade with the White Sox or let Ramirez go on waivers. The belief is that the White Sox are willing to give up some talent in order to land the slugger, though it’s doubtful that they’ll part with any of their top few prospects. If nothing can be agreed to prior to Tuesday’s deadline, Ramirez would presumably finish the season with the Dodgers, though the team could always release him.
If the White Sox land Ramirez, he’d likely become their primary designated hitter, leaving Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay with smaller roles. That’d force the White Sox to keep Carlos Quentin in right field most of the time rather than rest him in the DH spot. But it seems like a worthy sacrifice to add a still-productive 12-time All-Star. Ramirez is hitting .313/.407/.513 in 195 at-bats this season.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 2
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (94)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)