Aug 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark tweets that the White Sox have been awarded a waiver claim on Manny Ramirez. They would have until Tuesday to work out a deal with the Dodgers.
MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan is reporting that the Rangers claimed Ramirez, but the White Sox had the higher priority by virtue of their inferior record. Stark also believes the Rays put in a claim, though others have disputed that.
The Dodgers can now hammer out a trade with the White Sox or let Ramirez go on waivers. The belief is that the White Sox are willing to give up some talent in order to land the slugger, though it’s doubtful that they’ll part with any of their top few prospects. If nothing can be agreed to prior to Tuesday’s deadline, Ramirez would presumably finish the season with the Dodgers, though the team could always release him.
If the White Sox land Ramirez, he’d likely become their primary designated hitter, leaving Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay with smaller roles. That’d force the White Sox to keep Carlos Quentin in right field most of the time rather than rest him in the DH spot. But it seems like a worthy sacrifice to add a still-productive 12-time All-Star. Ramirez is hitting .313/.407/.513 in 195 at-bats this season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)