Aug 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark tweets that the White Sox have been awarded a waiver claim on Manny Ramirez. They would have until Tuesday to work out a deal with the Dodgers.
MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan is reporting that the Rangers claimed Ramirez, but the White Sox had the higher priority by virtue of their inferior record. Stark also believes the Rays put in a claim, though others have disputed that.
The Dodgers can now hammer out a trade with the White Sox or let Ramirez go on waivers. The belief is that the White Sox are willing to give up some talent in order to land the slugger, though it’s doubtful that they’ll part with any of their top few prospects. If nothing can be agreed to prior to Tuesday’s deadline, Ramirez would presumably finish the season with the Dodgers, though the team could always release him.
If the White Sox land Ramirez, he’d likely become their primary designated hitter, leaving Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay with smaller roles. That’d force the White Sox to keep Carlos Quentin in right field most of the time rather than rest him in the DH spot. But it seems like a worthy sacrifice to add a still-productive 12-time All-Star. Ramirez is hitting .313/.407/.513 in 195 at-bats this season.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)