Aug 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark tweets that the White Sox have been awarded a waiver claim on Manny Ramirez. They would have until Tuesday to work out a deal with the Dodgers.
MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan is reporting that the Rangers claimed Ramirez, but the White Sox had the higher priority by virtue of their inferior record. Stark also believes the Rays put in a claim, though others have disputed that.
The Dodgers can now hammer out a trade with the White Sox or let Ramirez go on waivers. The belief is that the White Sox are willing to give up some talent in order to land the slugger, though it’s doubtful that they’ll part with any of their top few prospects. If nothing can be agreed to prior to Tuesday’s deadline, Ramirez would presumably finish the season with the Dodgers, though the team could always release him.
If the White Sox land Ramirez, he’d likely become their primary designated hitter, leaving Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay with smaller roles. That’d force the White Sox to keep Carlos Quentin in right field most of the time rather than rest him in the DH spot. But it seems like a worthy sacrifice to add a still-productive 12-time All-Star. Ramirez is hitting .313/.407/.513 in 195 at-bats this season.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)