Aug 27, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
Update: Jon Heyman is tweeting that multiple teams put in claims for Ramirez. Though that could include AL teams ahead of the White Sox in the standings.
Update #2: Sources told Morosi that neither the Rays nor Yankees put in claims for Ramirez. There’s been speculation that the Rangers might have, but they’d be behind the White Sox in the pecking order.
FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi is among those reporting that Manny Ramirez has been claimed on waivers in advance of this afternoon’s deadline.
The claim comes as no surprise. Ramirez was placed on waivers by the Dodgers on Wednesday. If he had cleared waivers, he could have been dealt to any of the league’s other 29 teams. However, since that didn’t happen, he can only be moved to the team that won the claim.
It’s been widely reported that the White Sox put in a claim for Ramirez. What we don’t know is whether one of the 15 NL teams or eight AL teams with a higher priority beat them to it. It’s a safe bet that none of the AL teams with worse records were interested, but an NL contender might have decided it was worth taking on his contract. The details figure to be revealed soon.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)