Aug 27, 2010, 1:35 PM EST
Update: Jon Heyman is tweeting that multiple teams put in claims for Ramirez. Though that could include AL teams ahead of the White Sox in the standings.
Update #2: Sources told Morosi that neither the Rays nor Yankees put in claims for Ramirez. There’s been speculation that the Rangers might have, but they’d be behind the White Sox in the pecking order.
FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi is among those reporting that Manny Ramirez has been claimed on waivers in advance of this afternoon’s deadline.
The claim comes as no surprise. Ramirez was placed on waivers by the Dodgers on Wednesday. If he had cleared waivers, he could have been dealt to any of the league’s other 29 teams. However, since that didn’t happen, he can only be moved to the team that won the claim.
It’s been widely reported that the White Sox put in a claim for Ramirez. What we don’t know is whether one of the 15 NL teams or eight AL teams with a higher priority beat them to it. It’s a safe bet that none of the AL teams with worse records were interested, but an NL contender might have decided it was worth taking on his contract. The details figure to be revealed soon.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)