Aug 27, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
Update: Jon Heyman is tweeting that multiple teams put in claims for Ramirez. Though that could include AL teams ahead of the White Sox in the standings.
Update #2: Sources told Morosi that neither the Rays nor Yankees put in claims for Ramirez. There’s been speculation that the Rangers might have, but they’d be behind the White Sox in the pecking order.
FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi is among those reporting that Manny Ramirez has been claimed on waivers in advance of this afternoon’s deadline.
The claim comes as no surprise. Ramirez was placed on waivers by the Dodgers on Wednesday. If he had cleared waivers, he could have been dealt to any of the league’s other 29 teams. However, since that didn’t happen, he can only be moved to the team that won the claim.
It’s been widely reported that the White Sox put in a claim for Ramirez. What we don’t know is whether one of the 15 NL teams or eight AL teams with a higher priority beat them to it. It’s a safe bet that none of the AL teams with worse records were interested, but an NL contender might have decided it was worth taking on his contract. The details figure to be revealed soon.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (99)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner