Aug 27, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
Update: Jon Heyman is tweeting that multiple teams put in claims for Ramirez. Though that could include AL teams ahead of the White Sox in the standings.
Update #2: Sources told Morosi that neither the Rays nor Yankees put in claims for Ramirez. There’s been speculation that the Rangers might have, but they’d be behind the White Sox in the pecking order.
FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi is among those reporting that Manny Ramirez has been claimed on waivers in advance of this afternoon’s deadline.
The claim comes as no surprise. Ramirez was placed on waivers by the Dodgers on Wednesday. If he had cleared waivers, he could have been dealt to any of the league’s other 29 teams. However, since that didn’t happen, he can only be moved to the team that won the claim.
It’s been widely reported that the White Sox put in a claim for Ramirez. What we don’t know is whether one of the 15 NL teams or eight AL teams with a higher priority beat them to it. It’s a safe bet that none of the AL teams with worse records were interested, but an NL contender might have decided it was worth taking on his contract. The details figure to be revealed soon.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 26
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 32
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 126
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (127)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)