Tony La Russa and Albert Pujols to attend rally in Washington with Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin

Aug 27, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

While in Washington to play the Nationals this weekend Albert Pujols and Tony La Russa will be guests at the “Restoring Honor” rally organized by FOX News host Glenn Beck and featuring former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.
Pujols is being honored at the event and La Russa will be on hand to introduce him to what’s expected to be a crowd of over 20,000 gathering at the Lincoln Memorial on the 47th anniversary of Martin Luther King’s famous “I have a dream” speech.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that La Russa was only willing to attend and involve Pujols “after receiving assurances that the event is not a thinly disguised political rally.” Here’s more from the manager, who got into some hot water last month for publicly supporting the Arizona immigration law:

I made it clear when we were approached. I said, “If it’s political, I wouldn’t even approach Albert with it.” I don’t want to be there if it’s political. I made the point several times: “What is this about?” I don’t know who’s going to be there, who’s going to accept it. But the gist of the day is not political. I think it’s a really good concept, actually.

I’ll go out on a limb here and guess that a rally hosted by Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin at the base of the Lincoln Memorial will probably have just a tad of politics involved. Strauss notes that “some liberal critics have portrayed the three-hour event as a platform for the conservative Tea Party movement” and adds that “the rally is expected to include a faith-based message, something that squares with Pujols’ commitment to his faith as well as his Pujols Family Foundation.”

1. Largebill - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Maybe the rally will just be what it is being portrayed as being. Regardless, I have no doubt that this post will bring on the foaming at the mouth comments usually reserved for steroid outrage.

2. El Bravo - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I’ll light the torch and bring the pitchfork.

3. JBerardi - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

You have got to be f’ing kidding me. Make sure you bring your papers, Albert…

4. NicoSamuelson2 - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Well, at least with Glenn Beck there we can rest assured that the tone of the event will be fair and balanced.

5. BCTF - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Now the all-accepting, progressive liberals will smear Albert as a Hispanic version of an Uncle Tom.

6. BCTF - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM

And boomb goes the dynamite

7. JBerardi - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Actually, I believe we’ll be attacking his religion. At least, that’s the memo I got with my Soros check this month…

8. Ditto65 - Aug 27, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Where is Beck going to put his chalk boards?

9. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Naaah, Albert is no “Uncle Tom” in the sense of, say, Michael Steele or Clarence “Uncle” Thomas. Compared to Jim Bunning or even Curt Schilling, his religiosity and his conservatism have always been a pretty deeply personal things turned inward to the benefit of his family and himself, not excuses to shill or harangue. I wouldn’t be surprised if he really believes that is what he is being “honored” for, but I’m disappointed that he can’t see through the opportunistic slime coating of Beck-Palin bullshit.
    But I do find it hard to believe that LaRussa is actually gullible or naive (or disingenuous) enough to think that this won’t be a lot of neofascist grandstanding designed to make “America” look like it was supposed to be built on the model of the droolers and knucklegdraggers who follow that frothing clown Beck or the Moose Turd Queen.
    Having said that, 20,000 people hardly amounts to a political or social earthquake. The Grateful Dead could pack three times that many into a stadium three nights in a row, and having Pujols there was necessary window dressing to cover the fact that such an anemic gathering for two national figures represents a major ideological bust. The significance of this whole thing is way out of proportion; it’s just a silly sideshow.

10. Ditto65 - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:16 PM

You are presupposing that LaRussa actually believes what he told the press about his apprehension to appear at a politically charged rally, and agreed because it was merely a lovefest honoring his first baseman.

11. Kelly - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Well, obviously La Russa would want to bring his born and bred American superstar to a rally with those most likely to favor shooting immigrants. I mean, Pujols was born and raised in….wait what? Baseball and politics. Nothing but good comes from them when they get together.

12. JBerardi - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM

“The significance of this whole thing is way out of proportion; it’s just a silly sideshow.”

Old Gator, that would NEVER happen in America. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go protest the building of a not-mosque in a city that I don’t live in.

13. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Heh – that’s why I added “disingenuous” in parentheses. Tony LaRussa’s atavistic political beliefs have been pretty common knowledge for a long time.

14. frightwig - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM

If they want to be associated with Glenn Beck’s rightwing political rally, that’s their prerogative; and it’s my prerogative to think they’re tools for doing so. Whatever, it’s a free country. Just don’t insult me by claiming, “If it’s political, I wouldn’t even approach Albert with it. I don’t want to be there if it’s political.” Be honest about what you’re doing, guys.

15. BCTF - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I think they are expecting 100,000 people at least. I am not sure if the Dead could get that many people into a show even with Garcia alive.
    Q: What did the Dead Head say when he ran out of pot?
    A: What is this $hit I am listening to?

16. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Albert Pujols is a Muslim!

17. BCTF - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Right after that you can protest a baseball team because they play in a state that created a law that you don’t agree with. Oh, and you don’t live in that state either.

18. El Bravo - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Gator, I’m a fan of many of the nicknames you use and vexed by countless others until Google tells me what they mean…but this time you struck Moose Turd gold. Thank you.

19. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM

No one protests the “baseball team.” They protested an unconstitutional and racist law. Some of the most disapproving voices about that law were members of the Diamondbacks. Lost in the noise about the “may I see your paperss pliss” law was the educational law Governor Shrek also signed which says, in effect, that Arizona grade school curricula have to represent America as white, Christian and all-good, the facts be damned. Frankly, that’s a lot more dangerous than the immigration law – which, of course, is now in the process of costing Arizona a nice chunk of its tax base and will shortly be driving businesses out to states where they can find inexpensive labor, further imploding the state’s already sick economy. Good work, Xenophobes everywhere!

20. Reflex - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Won’t Beck and Palin be suprised when LaRussa substitutes Felipe Lopez for Pujols based on matchups…

21. Ditto65 - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I do apologize – for some reason I sometimes miss things found in parentheses.

22. Ditto65 - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Old Gator is an illegal alien!

23. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM

You are aware, are you not, that the village of Talkeetna, not far from Wasilla, actually puts on a Moose Turd Festival every year? And I believe that they do have a festival queen or some such thing. I’ve only driven through town and bought lacquered moose turd tie tacks and cufflinks for the extended family members I most love, but you can check out the festival here: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Moose+dropping+festival:+a+unique+Talkeetna+treat.+(Alaska+this…-a0105210737
    If Palin really wanted a turnout, shed’ve arranged to move the Moose Turd Festival to Washington and hold it at Republican Party headquarters.

24. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Domini, domini, domini. You’re forgive – and you’re a Muslim now!

25. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I’ve got two words for you: 1) Watkins 2) Glen (no relation to Glenn Beck).

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3924)