Tony La Russa and Albert Pujols to attend rally in Washington with Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin

Aug 27, 2010, 1:15 PM EST

While in Washington to play the Nationals this weekend Albert Pujols and Tony La Russa will be guests at the “Restoring Honor” rally organized by FOX News host Glenn Beck and featuring former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.
Pujols is being honored at the event and La Russa will be on hand to introduce him to what’s expected to be a crowd of over 20,000 gathering at the Lincoln Memorial on the 47th anniversary of Martin Luther King’s famous “I have a dream” speech.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that La Russa was only willing to attend and involve Pujols “after receiving assurances that the event is not a thinly disguised political rally.” Here’s more from the manager, who got into some hot water last month for publicly supporting the Arizona immigration law:

I made it clear when we were approached. I said, “If it’s political, I wouldn’t even approach Albert with it.” I don’t want to be there if it’s political. I made the point several times: “What is this about?” I don’t know who’s going to be there, who’s going to accept it. But the gist of the day is not political. I think it’s a really good concept, actually.

I’ll go out on a limb here and guess that a rally hosted by Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin at the base of the Lincoln Memorial will probably have just a tad of politics involved. Strauss notes that “some liberal critics have portrayed the three-hour event as a platform for the conservative Tea Party movement” and adds that “the rally is expected to include a faith-based message, something that squares with Pujols’ commitment to his faith as well as his Pujols Family Foundation.”

1. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Shall I autograph your copy of To Serve Man?

2. Tracy - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Hey, maybe they’ll ask Pujols for his birth certificate.

3. Ditto65 - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM

It’s a cookbook?!

4. BC - Aug 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I love the NASCAR races out there.

5. stlfan - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Albert these people hate your people. Don’t go.

6. APBA Guy - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I’m shocked. Gator, I think nobody has really insulted you yet. Have we driven off the mouth-breathers, or are they already assembling at the foot of the Lincoln memorial ?
    I wonder how long into tomorrow’s festivities before Beck tells everyone to buy gold from Goldline. Think he’ll stop by the Pentagon Mosque? Or just tell everyone that Obama prays there?

7. Largebill - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I assumed this thread would be fraught with ignorance. Thanks for not disappointing me. The racism early in the thread provides a nice demonstration of liberal intolerance. They’ll tolerate just about anything except a minority having the temerity to have a different point of view from that allowed on the Dem plantation.

8. birdmancometh - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Zing!

9. birdmancometh - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM

No, it’s in Washington…not Arizona.

10. birdmancometh - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Now thats a friend. Good advice.

11. Utley's hair - Aug 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

What’s the over/under on when the waterworks start? I say the Palinator needs to shoot Beckerhead in the foot from her helicopter to get him to turn on the tears.

12. Largebill - Aug 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM

13. Jonny5 - Aug 27, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I’m shocked! Does anyone really care what Beck and Palin do? All they are are talking heads who’s mere existence depends on our addiction to the idiot box that habitates just about every room in every house in the country. Now with that said, these two are also irrelevant in the realm they claim to be a part of, politics. So again. Why does anyone care what they do? Another shocker for me is Gator here. Gator, no offense meant, I have the utmost respect for you but….. I can’t believe how much the right wingers actually bother you. Do you still hold onto the belief that the two monopolies that have had a stranglehold on running our gov’t are actually two different entities? The only reason either of them still exist is our ignorance. Yeah, they’ve had us believe they actually don’t work hand in hand to continue to run the most powerful country in the world. As long as they keep us fighting the straw men “of the other party” and directing our ill aimed anger at these straw men we ignore the fact that neither party really operates this country to our best benefit. And here we are, intelligent people for the most part believing that one party is better than the other. Believing that voting in our party will make a difference. It won’t. We get the same result in the end either way. We get to keep them all fat and happy while we shovel our money their way for them to split amongst themselves for their pork barrel spending, their lawsuits, Rolex watches, illigitimate children, and golden fleece retirement plans. I could go on and on, but I’ll spare you all the pain.

14. Ditto65 - Aug 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Glad you are Johnny-on-the-spot to keep everyone else in line.

15. Ditto65 - Aug 27, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Has anybody tallied up the score between the “Intolerant Liberals” and the “Holier than thou Conservatives”?

16. BCTF - Aug 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Since this is going on during the work day I would say that the self proclaimed progressive liberals have an advantage because most of them don’t work for a living (or take showers) and have a lot of free time on their hands.

17. CYGNUS X-1 - Aug 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

how dare they hold a rally that doesn’t suppoort some tree hugging radical left wing beliefs.don’t they know free speech only applies if you believe in the liberal way of thinking,you know where the U.S.A. is always wrong and are the reason for all the world’s problems. and of course you are a racist redneck if you don’t support throwing away trillions of dollars without asking where the money goes or if you support enforcing or making laws to keep people from coming here illegaly. and god forbid if you support the concept of people who come here actualy attempt to assilmalite to our culture and not the other way around. how dare we expect people to learn and speak english or if dare say something that may find offensive,which is basicly everything if they are muslim. in other words we can’t impose our values or religion on them but it is perfectly ok for them to shove islam down our throats no matter if we find it offensive.

18. keg64 - Aug 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM

So having 180,000 dionysion “dead” heads wallowing in the mud is a “political earthquake’ but having 20,000 people affirming their faith is a “silly sideshow” I am just glad that we conservative christians have all these lib’s willing to point out our “naivety, gullibility and disengenuousness” for us else we become intolerant, arrogant name-calling bigots who know what is best for everyone else to believe. At least Albert is a good “uncle tom”, not like that damn constitutionalist Clerence Thomas. How dare he escape from the box we so carefully cultivated for him?

19. Utley's hair - Aug 27, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Unlike yourself, I guess? Pot, meet kettle.

20. Ditto65 - Aug 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM

You are basing this on the assumption that all the employed Conservative Neanderthals actually “work” when they are at work, and NEVER visit trashy websites like HBT.

21. dprat - Aug 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM

@Cygnus X-1
    Congrats, that’s one epic fail of a blogpost… “tree hugging”… good one! “where the U.S.A. is always wrong”… nuanced insight there… . “we can’t impose our values or religion on them”… hmmm, wasn’t aware the good old U.S.A. had a religion… and then there’s “to shove islam down our throats” … never fails to crack me up how intolerant of religious freedom for all other religions the religious so very, very often are… altogether, very nice work. Be proud.

22. Old Gator - Aug 28, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Well, at least you “conservative Christians” (never let one get behind you) know how to interpret a comment straightforwardly. No one described Watkin’s Glen as a political earthquake – my comment was that a measley 20,000-person rally was not a political earthquake when a rock band can draw ten times that many people. This is not nearly as nuanced as your struggle to read it for what is was might indicate. You’re entitled to the superstition of your choice, even though the Moose Turd Queen clearly doesn’t believe that, judging by her tinpot demagoguery over the New York Islamic Center, and I haven’t yet met a “conservative Christian” who believed it either.
    As far as whether Deadheads are “Dionysian” or not, that’s trafficking in cliches. Deadheads span an incredible range of lifestyle types, probably including one or two marano-style “conservative Christians” into the mix. For me, though, hand me my thyrsus and wineskin and gimme that old time religion.

23. Old Gator - Aug 28, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Yep. And if I could translate it into Nahuatl, I could sell a ton of them to the Aztecs.

24. Old Gator - Aug 28, 2010 at 2:27 AM

APBA Guy: oddly enough, I’ve been making my flight reservations today for October, as you were warned. I get into SFO on the morning of the 6th. Be in the area until the 10th. The San Francisco Playhouse is running Cormac McCarthy’s brilliant play The Sunset Limited from, I think, September 26th through much of October, and I’ve been invited to review it on the 7th. On the 8th I’ve got the Cowboy Junkies in Napa and again on the 9th at Bimbo’s. I might – just might – catch the Monarchs at Muir Woods this year, too. Got my fingers crossed. I would’ve loved to take in an A’s game with you but somehow I don’t expect they’ll be playing in October. But we do need to hook up. I think can arrange for Craig to forward my email address to you.
    As far as insults, I thrive on them. It’s a lot like burning garbage to generate electricity. Insults may occasionally smell bad but they’ve been generated by idiots and at least they don’t coat pelicans or cormorants nor have much of a half-life.

25. Old Gator - Aug 28, 2010 at 2:34 AM

BCTF, let’s try a mind exercise. Try thinking without recourse to a bunch of apocryphal right wing cliches for a day. If your head starts hurting, okay, you tried, give it up. Everyone appreciates an honest effort.
    Incidentally, the Democrats are still out-fundraising Republicans by around 40% or so last time I checked the newswires. Not a half-bad turnover for a bunch of malingerers, is it?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5326)