Aug 28, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett was hammered for nine runs (eight earned) over 3 1/3 innings in a 9-4 loss to the White Sox last night.
When Yankees manager Joe Girardi was asked if Burnett would remain in the starting rotation, he hinted that he could make some changes, reports Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger.
“We’ll evaluate after this weekend where we are and what we need to do,”
Girardi said. “Take it the way you want to take it… we’ll do what we
have to do.”
It looked like Burnett was back on track after he went 3-1 with 2.00 ERA
in five starts last month, but including Friday’s loss, the high-priced
right-hander has allowed 26 earned runs over 30 innings (7.80 ERA) in
It’s difficult to keep pushing Burnett out there, but it’s not like the Yankees have many alternatives. Andy Pettitte isn’t expected to return until the middle of September and Javier Vazquez was recently ousted from the rotation in favor of rookie right-hander Ivan Nova. I think we’re probably looking at a spot-start situation. The recently-activated Sergio Mitre piggybacked Burnett’s poor outing last night and tossed 4 1/3 shutout innings, so he seems like the most likely candidate.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)