Aug 28, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett was hammered for nine runs (eight earned) over 3 1/3 innings in a 9-4 loss to the White Sox last night.
When Yankees manager Joe Girardi was asked if Burnett would remain in the starting rotation, he hinted that he could make some changes, reports Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger.
“We’ll evaluate after this weekend where we are and what we need to do,”
Girardi said. “Take it the way you want to take it… we’ll do what we
have to do.”
It looked like Burnett was back on track after he went 3-1 with 2.00 ERA
in five starts last month, but including Friday’s loss, the high-priced
right-hander has allowed 26 earned runs over 30 innings (7.80 ERA) in
It’s difficult to keep pushing Burnett out there, but it’s not like the Yankees have many alternatives. Andy Pettitte isn’t expected to return until the middle of September and Javier Vazquez was recently ousted from the rotation in favor of rookie right-hander Ivan Nova. I think we’re probably looking at a spot-start situation. The recently-activated Sergio Mitre piggybacked Burnett’s poor outing last night and tossed 4 1/3 shutout innings, so he seems like the most likely candidate.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 32
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 36
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)