Aug 28, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett was hammered for nine runs (eight earned) over 3 1/3 innings in a 9-4 loss to the White Sox last night.
When Yankees manager Joe Girardi was asked if Burnett would remain in the starting rotation, he hinted that he could make some changes, reports Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger.
“We’ll evaluate after this weekend where we are and what we need to do,”
Girardi said. “Take it the way you want to take it… we’ll do what we
have to do.”
It looked like Burnett was back on track after he went 3-1 with 2.00 ERA
in five starts last month, but including Friday’s loss, the high-priced
right-hander has allowed 26 earned runs over 30 innings (7.80 ERA) in
It’s difficult to keep pushing Burnett out there, but it’s not like the Yankees have many alternatives. Andy Pettitte isn’t expected to return until the middle of September and Javier Vazquez was recently ousted from the rotation in favor of rookie right-hander Ivan Nova. I think we’re probably looking at a spot-start situation. The recently-activated Sergio Mitre piggybacked Burnett’s poor outing last night and tossed 4 1/3 shutout innings, so he seems like the most likely candidate.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)