Aroldis Chapman hit 105 mph last night

Aug 28, 2010, 9:25 AM EDT

And he didn’t even need Brandon Phillips’ car to do it.

That’s right, Aroldis Chapman topped out at 105 mph in a relief appearance with Triple-A Louisville on Friday night. Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse had it first, though it was repeated by Buster Olney of ESPN.com and Peter Gammons of MLB Network and NESN this morning.

According to Price, Chapman “sat at” 103 mph on his fastball and also threw a slider in the 90-91 mph range. One scout told Price that it was “the best fastball I have ever witnessed.” With consistent heat like that, it’s no surprise to learn that he struck out the side in last night’s appearance.

Chapman has thrived since moving to a relief role, posting a 2.40 ERA and 49/12 K/BB ratio over 30 innings. As a reliever, he has held opposing batters to a .156 batting average and allowed just one home run.

He’s expected to be promoted to the major leagues as soon as rosters expand on September 1, so we should see his major league debut in just a few short days. I’m thinking a few of us might be interested in checking that one out.

1. Paper Lions - Aug 28, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Let’s get a report based on an accurate gun and not a stadium gun, which are notoriously 3-4 mph (or more) fast. No doubt the guy throw heat, but AAA must be a tough league if a guy with that kind of stuff has an ERA in the mid-3s.

2. D.J. Short - Aug 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I still want to see it to believe it, too. From all accounts he has tremendous stuff, however his 3+ ERA can mostly be blamed on his poor command. Still a work in progress.

3. Old Gator - Aug 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Well, this brings back fond memories of Ryne Duren, doesn’t it? All Chapman has to do with stuff like that is get himself pair of coke bottle glasses, hit the bull mascot a couple of times, and opposing batters will be digging in against him from the on-deck circle, if there. It’d be the most entertaining reign of terror since Danton went to the guillotine.

4. RichardInBigD - Aug 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Let’s don’t forget Reggie Jackson’s famous quote about a young, wild Nolan Ryan: “I’m not afraid of him striking me ou. I’m afraid of him killing me.”.

5. Football - Aug 28, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I wouldnt get too hung up on his “mid-3s” ERA. It is greatly hurt by some really bad outings early in the season when he was figuring things out. In his last 10 outings he as a 1.74 ERA and is holding opponents to a .111 BA.

6. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 28, 2010 at 6:34 PM

If we’re going to quote someone, at least get it right. Or is that some superstition of Joe Torre?
    “(Nolan) Ryan is the only guy who puts fear in me. Not because he can get you out, but because he can kill you.” – Reggie Jackson

7. Old Gator - Aug 28, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Aww, so what? One’s a born convict. The other is a liar.

8. tuckyjim - Aug 30, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I was at the game Friday night. The radar gun may not be 100% accurate but I can tell you that the pitches he threw were the fastest I have ever seen in my life. The batters were WAY behind those pitches.

9. BC - Aug 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

J.R. Richard was the hardest thrower I ever saw – faster than Ryan or the Big Unit. I can’t wait to see this kid pitch.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey