Aug 28, 2010, 7:03 PM EST
According to Henry Schulman of San Francisco Chronicle, Brian Wilson had to be helped off the field after being hit in the throat by a ball during batting practice.
Giants head trainer Dave Groeschner confirmed to Schulman that Wilson was hit after missing a throw while playing catch with fellow reliever Santiago Casilla. I’m sure Casilla wasn’t airing it out or anything, but that dude throws hard. Like really hard. According to Fangraphs, he averages 96.6 mph on his fastball.
The good news is that aside from soreness, Wilson is just fine. He should be available for tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks.
Wilson, 28, has a 1.94 ERA and 75/22 K/BB ratio in 55 2/3 innings this season. He currently ranks second in the National League with 35 saves.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)