Aug 28, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
According to Henry Schulman of San Francisco Chronicle, Brian Wilson had to be helped off the field after being hit in the throat by a ball during batting practice.
Giants head trainer Dave Groeschner confirmed to Schulman that Wilson was hit after missing a throw while playing catch with fellow reliever Santiago Casilla. I’m sure Casilla wasn’t airing it out or anything, but that dude throws hard. Like really hard. According to Fangraphs, he averages 96.6 mph on his fastball.
The good news is that aside from soreness, Wilson is just fine. He should be available for tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks.
Wilson, 28, has a 1.94 ERA and 75/22 K/BB ratio in 55 2/3 innings this season. He currently ranks second in the National League with 35 saves.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)