Aug 28, 2010, 7:03 PM EST
According to Henry Schulman of San Francisco Chronicle, Brian Wilson had to be helped off the field after being hit in the throat by a ball during batting practice.
Giants head trainer Dave Groeschner confirmed to Schulman that Wilson was hit after missing a throw while playing catch with fellow reliever Santiago Casilla. I’m sure Casilla wasn’t airing it out or anything, but that dude throws hard. Like really hard. According to Fangraphs, he averages 96.6 mph on his fastball.
The good news is that aside from soreness, Wilson is just fine. He should be available for tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks.
Wilson, 28, has a 1.94 ERA and 75/22 K/BB ratio in 55 2/3 innings this season. He currently ranks second in the National League with 35 saves.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)