Aug 28, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
According to Henry Schulman of San Francisco Chronicle, Brian Wilson had to be helped off the field after being hit in the throat by a ball during batting practice.
Giants head trainer Dave Groeschner confirmed to Schulman that Wilson was hit after missing a throw while playing catch with fellow reliever Santiago Casilla. I’m sure Casilla wasn’t airing it out or anything, but that dude throws hard. Like really hard. According to Fangraphs, he averages 96.6 mph on his fastball.
The good news is that aside from soreness, Wilson is just fine. He should be available for tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks.
Wilson, 28, has a 1.94 ERA and 75/22 K/BB ratio in 55 2/3 innings this season. He currently ranks second in the National League with 35 saves.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)