Aug 28, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
According to Henry Schulman of San Francisco Chronicle, Brian Wilson had to be helped off the field after being hit in the throat by a ball during batting practice.
Giants head trainer Dave Groeschner confirmed to Schulman that Wilson was hit after missing a throw while playing catch with fellow reliever Santiago Casilla. I’m sure Casilla wasn’t airing it out or anything, but that dude throws hard. Like really hard. According to Fangraphs, he averages 96.6 mph on his fastball.
The good news is that aside from soreness, Wilson is just fine. He should be available for tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks.
Wilson, 28, has a 1.94 ERA and 75/22 K/BB ratio in 55 2/3 innings this season. He currently ranks second in the National League with 35 saves.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 1
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 47
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)