Aug 28, 2010, 8:09 AM EST
UPDATE: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, it turns out that Hairston will be placed on the disabled list before Saturday’s game. Padres manager Bud Black said they are still working through a corresponding roster move, however Brock writes that is likely to be either Oscar Salazar or Everth Cabrera.
9:05 PM, Friday: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Jerry Hairston Jr. said that he will likely need 2-3 weeks in order to rest a strained right elbow.
He won’t go on the disabled list since September 1 is just around the corner, but according to Brock, it sounds like the team is even debating shutting him down. If so, that would be a tought blow to the first-place Padres.
The 34-year-old Hairston is batting .249/.305/.362 with 10 home runs, 50 RBI, 51 runs scored and nine stolen bases this season. Of course, his value transcends his batting line, as the versatile Hairston has made appearances at shortstop, second base, third base, right field and and left field this season.
The recent addition of Miguel Tejada and the return of David Eckstein will help to cushion the blow at least a little bit, but you better believe that the unsung Hairston will be missed.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)