Aug 28, 2010, 8:09 AM EST
UPDATE: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, it turns out that Hairston will be placed on the disabled list before Saturday’s game. Padres manager Bud Black said they are still working through a corresponding roster move, however Brock writes that is likely to be either Oscar Salazar or Everth Cabrera.
9:05 PM, Friday: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Jerry Hairston Jr. said that he will likely need 2-3 weeks in order to rest a strained right elbow.
He won’t go on the disabled list since September 1 is just around the corner, but according to Brock, it sounds like the team is even debating shutting him down. If so, that would be a tought blow to the first-place Padres.
The 34-year-old Hairston is batting .249/.305/.362 with 10 home runs, 50 RBI, 51 runs scored and nine stolen bases this season. Of course, his value transcends his batting line, as the versatile Hairston has made appearances at shortstop, second base, third base, right field and and left field this season.
The recent addition of Miguel Tejada and the return of David Eckstein will help to cushion the blow at least a little bit, but you better believe that the unsung Hairston will be missed.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)