Aug 28, 2010, 8:09 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, it turns out that Hairston will be placed on the disabled list before Saturday’s game. Padres manager Bud Black said they are still working through a corresponding roster move, however Brock writes that is likely to be either Oscar Salazar or Everth Cabrera.
9:05 PM, Friday: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Jerry Hairston Jr. said that he will likely need 2-3 weeks in order to rest a strained right elbow.
He won’t go on the disabled list since September 1 is just around the corner, but according to Brock, it sounds like the team is even debating shutting him down. If so, that would be a tought blow to the first-place Padres.
The 34-year-old Hairston is batting .249/.305/.362 with 10 home runs, 50 RBI, 51 runs scored and nine stolen bases this season. Of course, his value transcends his batting line, as the versatile Hairston has made appearances at shortstop, second base, third base, right field and and left field this season.
The recent addition of Miguel Tejada and the return of David Eckstein will help to cushion the blow at least a little bit, but you better believe that the unsung Hairston will be missed.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)