Aug 29, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos informed the media Sunday that 26-year-old right-hander Brandon Morrow will be shut down for the rest of the 2010 season due to a high innings total. He will make one more start, Friday at Yankee Stadium.
The Jays, 11 games out of the hunt for the American League East crown, are more concerned with their young starter’s right arm than winning baseball games at the moment, and rightly so.
Morrow has turned in a solid 10-6 record, a 4.27 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP over 25 starts this season. He has tallied 174 strikeouts in 143.1 total innings and came within one out of a no-hitter during a 17-strikeout performance on August 8 against the first-place Rays.
On a normal schedule, Morrow would have undoubtedly reached the 200-strikeout plateau, but it’s far more important that he is a healthy and reliable contributor in the Toronto rotation for the next several seasons. Not just this season.
It’s never easy to go the distance in the AL East, but there’s a lot to like about a rotation headed by Morrow, Shaun Marcum, Ricky Romero and Brett Cecil. That’s what the Jays will bring to the table in 2011.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 162
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (162)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (108)