Aug 29, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos informed the media Sunday that 26-year-old right-hander Brandon Morrow will be shut down for the rest of the 2010 season due to a high innings total. He will make one more start, Friday at Yankee Stadium.
The Jays, 11 games out of the hunt for the American League East crown, are more concerned with their young starter’s right arm than winning baseball games at the moment, and rightly so.
Morrow has turned in a solid 10-6 record, a 4.27 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP over 25 starts this season. He has tallied 174 strikeouts in 143.1 total innings and came within one out of a no-hitter during a 17-strikeout performance on August 8 against the first-place Rays.
On a normal schedule, Morrow would have undoubtedly reached the 200-strikeout plateau, but it’s far more important that he is a healthy and reliable contributor in the Toronto rotation for the next several seasons. Not just this season.
It’s never easy to go the distance in the AL East, but there’s a lot to like about a rotation headed by Morrow, Shaun Marcum, Ricky Romero and Brett Cecil. That’s what the Jays will bring to the table in 2011.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 9
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 23
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 37
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)