Aug 29, 2010, 3:47 PM EST
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos informed the media Sunday that 26-year-old right-hander Brandon Morrow will be shut down for the rest of the 2010 season due to a high innings total. He will make one more start, Friday at Yankee Stadium.
The Jays, 11 games out of the hunt for the American League East crown, are more concerned with their young starter’s right arm than winning baseball games at the moment, and rightly so.
Morrow has turned in a solid 10-6 record, a 4.27 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP over 25 starts this season. He has tallied 174 strikeouts in 143.1 total innings and came within one out of a no-hitter during a 17-strikeout performance on August 8 against the first-place Rays.
On a normal schedule, Morrow would have undoubtedly reached the 200-strikeout plateau, but it’s far more important that he is a healthy and reliable contributor in the Toronto rotation for the next several seasons. Not just this season.
It’s never easy to go the distance in the AL East, but there’s a lot to like about a rotation headed by Morrow, Shaun Marcum, Ricky Romero and Brett Cecil. That’s what the Jays will bring to the table in 2011.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (245)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (129)