Aug 29, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos informed the media Sunday that 26-year-old right-hander Brandon Morrow will be shut down for the rest of the 2010 season due to a high innings total. He will make one more start, Friday at Yankee Stadium.
The Jays, 11 games out of the hunt for the American League East crown, are more concerned with their young starter’s right arm than winning baseball games at the moment, and rightly so.
Morrow has turned in a solid 10-6 record, a 4.27 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP over 25 starts this season. He has tallied 174 strikeouts in 143.1 total innings and came within one out of a no-hitter during a 17-strikeout performance on August 8 against the first-place Rays.
On a normal schedule, Morrow would have undoubtedly reached the 200-strikeout plateau, but it’s far more important that he is a healthy and reliable contributor in the Toronto rotation for the next several seasons. Not just this season.
It’s never easy to go the distance in the AL East, but there’s a lot to like about a rotation headed by Morrow, Shaun Marcum, Ricky Romero and Brett Cecil. That’s what the Jays will bring to the table in 2011.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)