Aug 29, 2010, 1:01 PM EST
This is getting downright weird.
Dodgers manager Joe Torre has left outfielder Manny Ramirez out of his starting lineup for a fourth consecutive day, according to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick.
The Dodgers have been playing well recently and Torre hinted to reporters on Friday that he wanted to keep his Manny-less lineup intact because of superstitious thoughts. But the club lost to the Rockies on Saturday night, and a truly superstitious manager would probably want to mix things up.
Torre has insisted that no one is telling him to leave Manny out of the lineup and, by all accounts, no headway has been made in trade negotiations with the White Sox.
Ramirez is batting .311 with a solid .915 OPS, eight homers and 40 RBI in 196 at-bats this year, but Scott Podsednik is seeing starts in his place because Torre likes the “energy” of a lineup that includes the more fleet of foot outfielder.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)