Aug 29, 2010, 1:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: Teixeira has been scratched, reports Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger. Nick Swisher will play first base and Austin Kearns is in right field.
11:59 AM: Yankees slugger Mark Teixeira was lifted from Saturday’s game in the third inning due to a bruised right thumb but is back in the lineup Sunday, batting third and playing first base. This according to Erik Boland of New York’s Newsday.
Teixeira still has to make it through batting practice before he is officially cleared to play, but it certainly looks like all is well.
He injured the thumb on Friday night while making a diving attempt at a ball in foul territory and felt discomfort in his only at-bat Saturday.
The Yankees are currently tied with the Rays for first place atop the American League East.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)