Aug 29, 2010, 1:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: Teixeira has been scratched, reports Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger. Nick Swisher will play first base and Austin Kearns is in right field.
11:59 AM: Yankees slugger Mark Teixeira was lifted from Saturday’s game in the third inning due to a bruised right thumb but is back in the lineup Sunday, batting third and playing first base. This according to Erik Boland of New York’s Newsday.
Teixeira still has to make it through batting practice before he is officially cleared to play, but it certainly looks like all is well.
He injured the thumb on Friday night while making a diving attempt at a ball in foul territory and felt discomfort in his only at-bat Saturday.
The Yankees are currently tied with the Rays for first place atop the American League East.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39