Aug 29, 2010, 1:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: Teixeira has been scratched, reports Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger. Nick Swisher will play first base and Austin Kearns is in right field.
11:59 AM: Yankees slugger Mark Teixeira was lifted from Saturday’s game in the third inning due to a bruised right thumb but is back in the lineup Sunday, batting third and playing first base. This according to Erik Boland of New York’s Newsday.
Teixeira still has to make it through batting practice before he is officially cleared to play, but it certainly looks like all is well.
He injured the thumb on Friday night while making a diving attempt at a ball in foul territory and felt discomfort in his only at-bat Saturday.
The Yankees are currently tied with the Rays for first place atop the American League East.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 32
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)