Aug 29, 2010, 1:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: Teixeira has been scratched, reports Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger. Nick Swisher will play first base and Austin Kearns is in right field.
11:59 AM: Yankees slugger Mark Teixeira was lifted from Saturday’s game in the third inning due to a bruised right thumb but is back in the lineup Sunday, batting third and playing first base. This according to Erik Boland of New York’s Newsday.
Teixeira still has to make it through batting practice before he is officially cleared to play, but it certainly looks like all is well.
He injured the thumb on Friday night while making a diving attempt at a ball in foul territory and felt discomfort in his only at-bat Saturday.
The Yankees are currently tied with the Rays for first place atop the American League East.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)