Aug 29, 2010, 9:55 AM EST
In this era of single-sport stadiums, it’s becoming rare to see the shadows of a baseball diamond on a football field. Or vice-versa.
But that’s exactly what the Marlins and A’s go through every time summer turns to fall and it causes stress for at least one infield coach.
The Marlins’ Joe Espada told Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post on Saturday that the shape of the field at Sun Life Stadium in Miami is “a concern” and that he worries about it every time the NFL’s Dolphins play a game during the baseball season.
“If there’s a tackle right over the shortstop area. They beat that place up,” said Espada. “I want to make sure when we get there the surface is playable and guys
aren’t getting bad hops and the track is good. After the last time, the
field was in decent shape.
I’m very aware of it. It’s a concern.”
The Marlins and Espada won’t have to worry about sharing a stomping grounds with a football team for much longer. In 2012, the Fish will move into a baseball-only downtown stadium and the Dolphins will take over Sun Life for good.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)