Aug 29, 2010, 4:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joe McDonald of ESPN.com is reporting that the Red Sox have claimed Napoli off waivers from the Angels but are unlikely to
trade for him by Monday’s deadline.
The Red Sox may have put in the claim to block the power-hitting Napoli
from reaching the Rays, Yankees and Twins, who could all use a little
12:33 AM: The Manny Ramirez negotiations aren’t very active at the moment. But there might be another major waiver deal in the works.
According to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, an unknown team has claimed Angels catcher Mike Napoli off waivers. The Angels have until Monday afternoon to work out a deal with that claiming club.
Who might it be? Well, probably a club from the American League. Those teams get first pick and Napoli has a fairly high amount of value as a hitter. In just 369 at-bats this year for the Angels he boasts a team-leading 21 home runs, 60 RBI and a .480 slugging percentage.
Morosi notes that Napoli would make sense for Red Sox, Rays, Twins, White Sox and Rangers as a first baseman or designated hitter. And he would also fit in Detroit, where the Tigers are seeking a starting catcher for 2011.
It will take a decent prospect, that’s for sure, but a deal involving Napoli could most definitely happen either Sunday or closer to the Monday afternoon deadline.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)