Aug 29, 2010, 8:10 PM EST
Our long national nightmare is over.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the White Sox will acquire Manny Ramirez tomorrow, which means his Dodgers career ended with his coming off the bench as a pinch-hitter and being ejected in the middle of an at-bat for arguing balls and strikes this afternoon.
There’s no word yet on whether the White Sox will send anything back to the Dodgers in exchange for Ramirez or if they’ll simply assume his remaining contract, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms that the 12-time All-Star is headed to Chicago.
This offseason the White Sox chose not to re-sign Jim Thome and instead turned the designated hitter spot over to a rotating cast led by Mark Kotsay. Not surprisingly they’ve gotten some of the worst DH production in the league, so while adding Ramirez can’t get back all the runs and games lost by not keeping Thome it does provide a big upgrade to the middle of the lineup.
Ramirez has hit .311/.405/.510 this season, which is good for a .915 OPS that ranks fourth among all NL hitters with at least 200 plate appearances behind only Joey Votto, Albert Pujols, and Carlos Gonzalez. Whether there’s enough time left for Ramirez to make a big impact on a team 4.5 games out of first place is questionable, but there’s no doubt that the White Sox’s lineup just got a whole lot more dangerous.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)