Mannywood no more: Dodgers agree to send Manny Ramirez to White Sox

Aug 29, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT

Our long national nightmare is over.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the White Sox will acquire Manny Ramirez tomorrow, which means his Dodgers career ended with his coming off the bench as a pinch-hitter and being ejected in the middle of an at-bat for arguing balls and strikes this afternoon.
There’s no word yet on whether the White Sox will send anything back to the Dodgers in exchange for Ramirez or if they’ll simply assume his remaining contract, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms that the 12-time All-Star is headed to Chicago.
This offseason the White Sox chose not to re-sign Jim Thome and instead turned the designated hitter spot over to a rotating cast led by Mark Kotsay. Not surprisingly they’ve gotten some of the worst DH production in the league, so while adding Ramirez can’t get back all the runs and games lost by not keeping Thome it does provide a big upgrade to the middle of the lineup.
Ramirez has hit .311/.405/.510 this season, which is good for a .915 OPS that ranks fourth among all NL hitters with at least 200 plate appearances behind only Joey Votto, Albert Pujols, and Carlos Gonzalez. Whether there’s enough time left for Ramirez to make a big impact on a team 4.5 games out of first place is questionable, but there’s no doubt that the White Sox’s lineup just got a whole lot more dangerous.

1. cusoman - Aug 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Spirits are not exactly riding high in the ChiSox camp right now… and after this, expect them in the toilet. Can’t wait to watch the September implosion!

2. JimmyY - Aug 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM

One month at $4.5 million? Insane money for the chase, how do these teams afford it I just don’t get it.

3. Old Gator - Aug 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I know, it’s hard to imagine how much money these owners have. Jerry Reinsdorf? He spends more on tips in a year than that. Even Scrooge McLoria could afford it; he just chooses not to.
    It’s the price the Reinsdorf and his Southsiders pay for having listened to Ozzie’s ravings this past offseason. The twins aren’t that far ahead. If Manny gets hot, the Central suddenly becomes very, very interesting. The downside is that that blathering windbag Ozzie winds up with the mikes and cameras on him for a month, and possibly longer. That, I could do without.

4. APBA Guy - Aug 29, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I wonder if the WSox have enough pitching. When Peavy went down I assumed it was over, but then Morneau has been out for seems like half the year, and it’s still just 4.5 games.
    As for the money, the leaked docs proved that even the tiny teams have the cash. That’s really not the issue. The issue is which Manny shows up: Manny the player or Manny being Manny.

5. Old Gator - Aug 29, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Manny being Manny versus Ozzie being Ozzie. As I wrote somewhere earlier this week, that has Billy versus Reggie potential. I think it’s going to be an engrossing situation in the Central either way.

6. APBA Guy - Aug 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I can see this weird convergence between Ozzie and Manny, at least for a month, before it all goes horribly wrong, either in the offseason or next Spring. Whether the Ozzie/Manny love-fest of 30 days will be enough, I still have my doubts. This isn’t the Manny of 2004.

7. TheToolofTools - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:48 AM

This is a train wreck waiting to happen.
    Manny is baseballs version of T.O.

8. wfon1 - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM

As a Dodger Fan, I remember the Dodgers ALWAYS trading away the fan favorites,
    Im 37 from LA and I remember the Dodgers trading away Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Pedro Guerrero, etc. so this is no surprise.
    Dodgers trading away a fan favorite. too bad

9. ARCADIAN - Aug 30, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Im glad manny gone, he was a thorn in every butt side at the dodgers.
    good riddance to bad rubbish

10. Johnnyb10 - Aug 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM

And the Chisox are in Boston next weekend. Good thing Manny won’t be in the outfield. Should be very lively in Beantown.

11. Jonny5 - Aug 30, 2010 at 8:31 AM

I love this move. This guy made me ill to watch in the playoffs facing the Phills. Between his awesome plate presence in tense spots and his grotesque defense he did make me ill to watch. At least with Chicago we won’t have to see his nasty pine tar buildup he requires on his helmet. What’s with that anyway? I noticed some teams don’t allow it.

12. Philip P - Aug 30, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Garvey and Cey left as free agents. Dodgers are more famous for trading players too soon (i.e. Pedro Martinez).

13. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 30, 2010 at 9:38 AM

How quickly the ungrateful bastard Dodgers fans forget how Manny CARRIED them to the 2008 NL Western division title, hitting 17 HRs and knocking in 53 in 53 games, hitting .396/.489/.743/1.232. Then in the playoffs, he hit 4 HRs, batted over .500 with an OPS in the 1.700 range!!! The guy was a freaking monster for you.
    Then last year, he hits 21 HRs and knocks in 81 in 352 ABs, while batting only(only?) .290 but still putting up .418/531/.949 OBP/SLG/OPS.
    Sure, it’s never nice at the end of his tenure, but don’t forget the very, very nice 2 years he gave you guy.

14. gogoSox - Aug 30, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Why is it i always get sense that Aaron is backhandedly degrading the white sox every time he writes about them?

15. Md23Rewls - Aug 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Brett Favre coming back, Manny finally being traded, how on earth will the media survive without these stories to report on daily?

16. wfon1 - Aug 30, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Yea youre right.
    I should have stated that the Dodgers always let the fan favorites go.
    Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields. Yea I remember that.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet