Aug 30, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT
Earlier today we passed along word of Brandon Webb saying that he’d like to come back to Arizona and that he’d be content with some kind of incentive-laden deal. This must have given his agent a conniption fit, because he just came out with a slightly different statement, in the form of an email sent to MLBTR.
The upshot: let’s not be too hasty! Webb is gonna play the market and his contract next year should have a base salary in with what Rich Harden, Tim Hudson, Brad Penny and Ben Sheets got this year, baby! That would put him at anywhere between $7.5-10 million.
Sure, dude, whatever. All of those guys except Sheets actually showed that they were healthy and at least somewhat effective before the 2010 season began, which is something Webb is unlikely to do before 2011. And the one guy who couldn’t — Sheets — ended up being one of the bigger free agent busts this season.
I suppose it’s not impossible to imagine a team willing to give Webb close to eight figures plus incentives for 2011 based on a couple of September mopup appearances (at best). I just don’t think it’s anywhere close to likely.
But then again, he’s Webb’s agent, so what would you expect him to say?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)