Aug 30, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT
Earlier today we passed along word of Brandon Webb saying that he’d like to come back to Arizona and that he’d be content with some kind of incentive-laden deal. This must have given his agent a conniption fit, because he just came out with a slightly different statement, in the form of an email sent to MLBTR.
The upshot: let’s not be too hasty! Webb is gonna play the market and his contract next year should have a base salary in with what Rich Harden, Tim Hudson, Brad Penny and Ben Sheets got this year, baby! That would put him at anywhere between $7.5-10 million.
Sure, dude, whatever. All of those guys except Sheets actually showed that they were healthy and at least somewhat effective before the 2010 season began, which is something Webb is unlikely to do before 2011. And the one guy who couldn’t — Sheets — ended up being one of the bigger free agent busts this season.
I suppose it’s not impossible to imagine a team willing to give Webb close to eight figures plus incentives for 2011 based on a couple of September mopup appearances (at best). I just don’t think it’s anywhere close to likely.
But then again, he’s Webb’s agent, so what would you expect him to say?
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 37
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)