Aug 30, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT
Earlier today we passed along word of Brandon Webb saying that he’d like to come back to Arizona and that he’d be content with some kind of incentive-laden deal. This must have given his agent a conniption fit, because he just came out with a slightly different statement, in the form of an email sent to MLBTR.
The upshot: let’s not be too hasty! Webb is gonna play the market and his contract next year should have a base salary in with what Rich Harden, Tim Hudson, Brad Penny and Ben Sheets got this year, baby! That would put him at anywhere between $7.5-10 million.
Sure, dude, whatever. All of those guys except Sheets actually showed that they were healthy and at least somewhat effective before the 2010 season began, which is something Webb is unlikely to do before 2011. And the one guy who couldn’t — Sheets — ended up being one of the bigger free agent busts this season.
I suppose it’s not impossible to imagine a team willing to give Webb close to eight figures plus incentives for 2011 based on a couple of September mopup appearances (at best). I just don’t think it’s anywhere close to likely.
But then again, he’s Webb’s agent, so what would you expect him to say?
- The beauty of belief 9
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 69
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)