Aug 30, 2010, 12:49 PM EDT
After lasting just three innings Sunday in his shortest start of the season Derek Lowe told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he was having trouble gripping the ball, but declined to elaborate when asked if he’s pitching through an injury.
O’Brien notes that Lowe “shook his hand to his side at least twice between pitches, as if trying to loosen it” and “seemed uncomfortable” when questioned about it afterward.
Lowe said merely “I don’t know what to say” and “I’m not good at this [discussing his health status]” while manager Bobby Cox offered only “I don’t know, he shakes his hand a lot.”
While his win-loss record isn’t very good, Lowe had actually pitched pretty well recently before struggling yesterday. Prior to the loss against the Marlins he posted a 3.26 ERA and 19/4 K/BB ratio in five starts this month, so any injury is seemingly a new development.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)