Aug 30, 2010, 12:49 PM EDT
After lasting just three innings Sunday in his shortest start of the season Derek Lowe told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he was having trouble gripping the ball, but declined to elaborate when asked if he’s pitching through an injury.
O’Brien notes that Lowe “shook his hand to his side at least twice between pitches, as if trying to loosen it” and “seemed uncomfortable” when questioned about it afterward.
Lowe said merely “I don’t know what to say” and “I’m not good at this [discussing his health status]” while manager Bobby Cox offered only “I don’t know, he shakes his hand a lot.”
While his win-loss record isn’t very good, Lowe had actually pitched pretty well recently before struggling yesterday. Prior to the loss against the Marlins he posted a 3.26 ERA and 19/4 K/BB ratio in five starts this month, so any injury is seemingly a new development.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)