Aug 30, 2010, 12:49 PM EDT
After lasting just three innings Sunday in his shortest start of the season Derek Lowe told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he was having trouble gripping the ball, but declined to elaborate when asked if he’s pitching through an injury.
O’Brien notes that Lowe “shook his hand to his side at least twice between pitches, as if trying to loosen it” and “seemed uncomfortable” when questioned about it afterward.
Lowe said merely “I don’t know what to say” and “I’m not good at this [discussing his health status]” while manager Bobby Cox offered only “I don’t know, he shakes his hand a lot.”
While his win-loss record isn’t very good, Lowe had actually pitched pretty well recently before struggling yesterday. Prior to the loss against the Marlins he posted a 3.26 ERA and 19/4 K/BB ratio in five starts this month, so any injury is seemingly a new development.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)