Aug 30, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Roger Clemens just pleaded not guilty at his arraignment. No bail set. Clemens just can’t leave
the country, which is standard. Nothing crazy happened. He’s now off to play golf someplace, just as most
well-heeled criminal defendants do after they get arraigned.
There’s nothin’ else going on right now, so I’m left to consider the following:
- Roger Clemens showed up for his arraignment several hours early today, thereby making it into the courthouse before most of the press could assemble and photograph and tape him entering the building;
- Frank McCourt, according to the L.A. Times, “entered a side door” to the Los Angeles Superior Courthouse today, thus avoiding the press;
- Jamie McCourt walked right in the front door wearing a white dress, shades, flanked by a phalanx of lawyers and got photographed like crazy.
I was part of a couple of cases that got a lot of media attention back when I was practicing. There was always talk of how to avoid the press and, on at least one occasion, I was part of some elaborate scheme in which the quasi-celebrity client was trucked in and out via freight elevators and loading docks and stuff.
I never understood this. They’re going to get their pictures eventually. You don’t have to say a word to them. Unlike in the movies, you don’t have to fight your way through them. Unless you’re some coked up starlet or something, they really will get out of your way. They’re working the legal beat for crying out loud.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 0
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)