HBT Weekend Wrapup

Aug 30, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT

Stuff you may have missed while standing on the beach, staring at the sea, staring at the sand.

It occurred to me as I was driving eight hours back to central Ohio, away from the clear blue waters of Lake Michigan, away from the clean and cool air of the north, away from the fresh cherry pie and away from the easy, uncrowded and unhurried pace of life in my little vacation abode that I could easily write this blog from anywhere, so why not there?

But I have responsibilities here. Kids in school. A wife with a real job. A cat to feed. A fortified compound to patrol.  That kind of thing. I guess the sign of a truly good vacation is that you find yourself obsessing over real estate listings of the area after you’ve left. Alas.

Anyway, here’s what you missed while wondering if you could trust civilian movers to relocate your fortified compound to a little hamlet in Leelanau county:

• The Marlins are concerned
    about having to share a playing surface with the Dolphins. Maybe they
    should just lie about how much money they make and hoodwink Dade County
    and the City of Miami into paying for a new ballpark against the will of
    the taxpayers while simultaneously enriching themselves. Oh wait, they already did that.
  • Aroldis Chapman hit 105 on the radar gun. Probably the same one that cop used to clock me at 84 in that speed trap town in New Mexico a few years ago. I mean, no question, both the fastball and I were moving. I just kind of doubt that we were going that fast.
  • Someone needs to tell Nyjer Morgan that, given how he’s not that good at baseball, his primary selling point as a major leaguer is his infectious enthusiasm, positive attitude, old-timey stirrups and hustle (not necessarily in that order). In other words, he really needs to cut out all the bad guy stuff.

And with that, we can dive into this week and push the thoughts of vacationland out of our heads.

1. SadPandaRevolt - Aug 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Killing An Arab reference?
    Well played, sir.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Wow! Figured I’d go all day before someone caught that.

3. Jonny5 - Aug 30, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Wow Craig, that first mention of the Marlins there makes you kinda sound like one of those “Right wing wacko’s” Gator speaks about running over with his Gran Marquis… Watch your back man! ;>P Anyway how does a guy running a multimillion dollar franchise with the most profit in MLB collect welfare? Ask Mr. Scrooge McFeesh.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 30, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Hold on a second…no link or blurb to the story about the monk dude who would have been called up on Thursday had he not joined the monastery before the season started??? WTF Craig, you missed that major blog entry that I was ripped for…well…ripping…on Friday.
    And everyone needs to relax a bit…I like busting Aaron’s stones because he so clearly hates the Phillies and it shows in almost everything he posts about them.

5. lar @ wezen-ball - Aug 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Welcome back, Craig.
    Funnily enough, my mom’s birthday is exactly December 20… As for Dunn, my guess is that he’s becoming a free agent so he can follow Padma and Top Chef around for the rest of his career.

6. SadPandaRevolt - Aug 30, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Yeah, I figured I was the only one that could dig that deep into The Cure’s catalog.

7. Old Gator - Aug 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Johnny, if you lived here in Macondo, it would not have been any kind of mystery. This town is a mecca for corporate corruption. The more or less legitimate businesses just watched the drug dealers and learned from it. Meanwhile, I assure you that Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua have nothing on the Macondo-Dude county politicos who have overseen the cost overruns at Macondo International Aerodrome. We bring you a third world airport for the price of a space program! We had one mayor sue another for voter fraud and win, we’ve had another mayor brain his wife with a teapot, a county commissioner go to jail for corruption only to discover that his wife had been porking his defense attorney throughout his trial – and when he appealed on the basis that his lawyer had a good reason to represent him badly so he’d go to jail, had the judge respond that it was too goddamned bad about him. Really. And more, and more. No, the stadium fiasco is in every way consistent with the ongoing Fellini movie that is life in Macondo and if it had been any other way, we would have to wonder if the Eschaton were at hand.

8. JBerardi - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Camus can do, but Sartre is smartre.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5062)