Aug 30, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
It occurred to me as I was driving eight hours back to central Ohio, away from the clear blue waters of Lake Michigan, away from the clean and cool air of the north, away from the fresh cherry pie and away from the easy, uncrowded and unhurried pace of life in my little vacation abode that I could easily write this blog from anywhere, so why not there?
But I have responsibilities here. Kids in school. A wife with a real job. A cat to feed. A fortified compound to patrol. That kind of thing. I guess the sign of a truly good vacation is that you find yourself obsessing over real estate listings of the area after you’ve left. Alas.
Anyway, here’s what you missed while wondering if you could trust civilian movers to relocate your fortified compound to a little hamlet in Leelanau county:
- The Marlins are concerned
about having to share a playing surface with the Dolphins. Maybe they
should just lie about how much money they make and hoodwink Dade County
and the City of Miami into paying for a new ballpark against the will of
the taxpayers while simultaneously enriching themselves. Oh wait, they already did that.
- Never has so much been written about someone who has done so little as recent-vintage Manny Ramirez.
- The Twins acquired reliever Brian Fuentes from Anaheim. In the future, everyone will be a member of the Twins’ bullpen for 15 minutes.
- Aroldis Chapman hit 105 on the radar gun. Probably the same one that cop used to clock me at 84 in that speed trap town in New Mexico a few years ago. I mean, no question, both the fastball and I were moving. I just kind of doubt that we were going that fast.
- Manny Corpas getting slated for Tommy John surgery the same week Stephen Strasburg did is kind of like having a December 20th birthday.
- A.J. Burnett’s rotation spot is in jeopardy. Only three years and just shy of $50 million left on that deal, though, so I’m sure he’ll be easy to hide in long relief until fall 2013.
- Adam Dunn is probably going to hit the free agent market. While the Strasburg injury is easily the most depressing news in Nats Land these past few days, sometime over the winter it’s going to dawn on Nats fans that their team decided to extended Livan Hernandez the same week they more or less cut bait on Dunn.
- White Sox reliever Eric Threets getting slated for Tommy John surgery the same week that Stephen Strasburg and Manny Copras did is kind of like having a December 24th birthday.
- Brandon Webb hopes to return within two weeks. This is not a repeat from spring 2009, spring 2010 or early summer 2010.
- Someone needs to tell Nyjer Morgan that, given how he’s not that good at baseball, his primary selling point as a major leaguer is his infectious enthusiasm, positive attitude, old-timey stirrups and hustle (not necessarily in that order). In other words, he really needs to cut out all the bad guy stuff.
And with that, we can dive into this week and push the thoughts of vacationland out of our heads.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)