Aug 30, 2010, 8:45 PM EST
OK, back to the Manny talk. Just for a second anyway.
As you may recall, I wondered out loud Saturday if Dodgers manager Joe Torre actually believed any of his silly excuses for keeping Manny Ramirez out of the lineup for four straight games. We can probably safely say that he didn’t.
Torre confirmed to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times today that Ramirez told him Friday that he wanted to play in the American League. Mystery solved. Interestingly, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said that Ramirez didn’t express a desire to play in the American League until Sunday, but then again, what do you expect him to say?
Ramirez, 38, has already had three stints on the disabled list this season, so a chance to be a designated hitter down the stretch could do wonders as he tries to boost his value headed into free agency this winter. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)