Aug 30, 2010, 12:32 PM EDT
There’s a neat article up at the Washington Post today about Major League Baseball’s inroads to China. Compared to the population and, really, compared to interest in basketball and other sports, China’s interest in baseball is really low. But even a low percentage of Chinese population is huge, so it’s understandable that baseball would like to try to tap into that market.
There’s a slide show that accompanies the article. Two takeaways: (1) the sheer number of official MLB logos on the players and around the park at the Chinese training camp baseball has set up; and (2) photo number four, in which baseball presents pics of various major leaguers to demonstrate batting stances.
The logos are weird. If, as I suspect, the league wants to make inroads in China to help sell merch, you’d think they’d give everyone team logos or something cooler than the old Mr. Major League Baseball thing. Maybe I’m over thinking this, though.
I love that they include Vlad Guerrero among guys like Bonds, A-Rod and Miguel Cabrera in the batting stance thing. I just hope they’re not using video of his hitting style to teach the Chinese. That would set back their baseball program two or three decades.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 6
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 27
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 19
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)