Aug 30, 2010, 9:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Perez allowed just the one run, but he threw just 14 out of 29 pitches for strikes and walked two. By my count, he only had one swinging-strike. If his past usage is any indication, this means we won’t see him again until September 27.
9:43 PM: All good things must come to an end. Oliver Perez just entered tonight’s game against the Braves in the bottom of the seventh inning and promptly gave up a long home run to Brian McCann. Sigh.
9:25 PM: Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com did some research and according to Elias Sports Bureau, it turns out that Oliver Perez’s current streak of 25 games without an appearance is the longest streak by a major league pitcher this season. Perez last pitched against the Diamondbacks on August 1. Ross Wolf of the Athletics went 21 straight games without an appearance from July 30-August 21.
This isn’t a surprise, really, but it’s not like the Mets starters have even given him a chance to mop-up. While their offense has been out to lunch since the All-Star break, Mets starters have a fantastic 3.03 ERA this month.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 3
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)