Aug 30, 2010, 9:55 PM EST
UPDATE: Perez allowed just the one run, but he threw just 14 out of 29 pitches for strikes and walked two. By my count, he only had one swinging-strike. If his past usage is any indication, this means we won’t see him again until September 27.
9:43 PM: All good things must come to an end. Oliver Perez just entered tonight’s game against the Braves in the bottom of the seventh inning and promptly gave up a long home run to Brian McCann. Sigh.
9:25 PM: Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com did some research and according to Elias Sports Bureau, it turns out that Oliver Perez’s current streak of 25 games without an appearance is the longest streak by a major league pitcher this season. Perez last pitched against the Diamondbacks on August 1. Ross Wolf of the Athletics went 21 straight games without an appearance from July 30-August 21.
This isn’t a surprise, really, but it’s not like the Mets starters have even given him a chance to mop-up. While their offense has been out to lunch since the All-Star break, Mets starters have a fantastic 3.03 ERA this month.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)