Aug 30, 2010, 9:55 PM EST
UPDATE: Perez allowed just the one run, but he threw just 14 out of 29 pitches for strikes and walked two. By my count, he only had one swinging-strike. If his past usage is any indication, this means we won’t see him again until September 27.
9:43 PM: All good things must come to an end. Oliver Perez just entered tonight’s game against the Braves in the bottom of the seventh inning and promptly gave up a long home run to Brian McCann. Sigh.
9:25 PM: Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com did some research and according to Elias Sports Bureau, it turns out that Oliver Perez’s current streak of 25 games without an appearance is the longest streak by a major league pitcher this season. Perez last pitched against the Diamondbacks on August 1. Ross Wolf of the Athletics went 21 straight games without an appearance from July 30-August 21.
This isn’t a surprise, really, but it’s not like the Mets starters have even given him a chance to mop-up. While their offense has been out to lunch since the All-Star break, Mets starters have a fantastic 3.03 ERA this month.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)