Aug 30, 2010, 9:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Perez allowed just the one run, but he threw just 14 out of 29 pitches for strikes and walked two. By my count, he only had one swinging-strike. If his past usage is any indication, this means we won’t see him again until September 27.
9:43 PM: All good things must come to an end. Oliver Perez just entered tonight’s game against the Braves in the bottom of the seventh inning and promptly gave up a long home run to Brian McCann. Sigh.
9:25 PM: Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com did some research and according to Elias Sports Bureau, it turns out that Oliver Perez’s current streak of 25 games without an appearance is the longest streak by a major league pitcher this season. Perez last pitched against the Diamondbacks on August 1. Ross Wolf of the Athletics went 21 straight games without an appearance from July 30-August 21.
This isn’t a surprise, really, but it’s not like the Mets starters have even given him a chance to mop-up. While their offense has been out to lunch since the All-Star break, Mets starters have a fantastic 3.03 ERA this month.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)