Rob Dibble won't be calling Nationals games any time soon

Aug 30, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT

Nationals television analyst Rob Dibble was initially said to be on a two-game “vacation” after telling Stephen Strasburg to “suck it up” and “stop crying” about the elbow injury that proved to require Tommy John surgery, but he wasn’t on the air for either game this weekend and now MASN has announced that he won’t be with the team on their six-day road trip that begins tonight in Florida.
Asked to provide further details, MASN spokesperson Todd Webster said: “He asked for and was granted a few days off. Beyond that, I don’t have a comment.”
I’ve already written plenty about Dibble’s comments, so I won’t rehash that now, but suffice it to say that every Nationals fan I know is hoping they’ve seen and heard the last of him on the team’s broadcasts. And that really has very little to do with what he said about Strasburg.
Ray Knight has been subbing for Dibble and, while I’ve not tuned in to hear him yet, I can say with the utmost confidence that he’s a massive upgrade. If a good, well-liked announcer says something stupid, perhaps you give him a pass. If a terrible, almost universally disliked announcer says something stupid, just weeks after also saying something stupid … well, why not give Nationals fans some good news for once and drop him?

1. BC - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

All we need to do now is get Kornheiser completely off the air and the world will be complete.

2. JBerardi - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Note to self: if ever hired as color commentator for MLB team, try not to insult half of the team’s potential fanbase AND their franchise player within the space of two weeks. Got it.

3. RichardInBigD - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Buck Martinez?

4. BC - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Yeah, him to. And Troy Aikman. Wrong sport, I know…. sue me.

5. Kiwicricket - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM

. If only it was that easy. Listen to a Whitesox game and tell me the ‘Hawk’ shouldn’t have his voice-box removed via animal attack. The ‘us’ and ‘them’ thing is amazing…..but the ‘keep em’ commin’ boys…’ and ‘hee gooonne’ thing makes me want to stab my computer.
    Seriously, what is it about baseball announcers????!!!!
    I can honestly say, while following half a dozen sports around the globe passionately, baseball has some of the worst commentators on the planet

6. Utley's hair - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM

What about Joe Buck and Tim McCarver?

7. El Bravo - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Now he can dibble his own balls with his new-found, extra free time.

8. Utley's hair - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Put it on the booooooooooard, dadgummit. More like put one in my head.

9. BC - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM

They should be locked in a closet with a starved, rabid panther.

10. Jack Marshall - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I’m amazed that he lasted this long. Dibble is one of several celebrities who are paid to be a jerks. Unfortunately, in Dibble’s case, it’s no act, and he can’t just turn it off. It is unfair to put him is the same category with Buck, Hawk, et al., beause they are just annoying. Dibble is a crude, none-too-bright, nasty guy.

11. Utley's hair - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM

You’ve obviously put a lot of thought into this.

12. Jonny5 - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Kim Jong il should drop these two into his shark tank. I heard they did a real number on Hans Blix.

13. JBerardi - Aug 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM

McCarver would bore that panther to death with stories of what baseball was like in nineteen-dickety-two. He had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen their word twenty…

14. APBA Guy - Aug 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Such a pleasure to read that others share my visceral hatred of all things Hawk. Although I find the punishments above more creative than what I usually imagine: Hawk chained to a seaside rock, Viking-style, with the tide rising, slowly rising, as he writhes in agony, forced to listen to his own voice broadcasting a Sox loss, looking to his left and seeing McCarver with the water about to engulf him, and then to the right with only a tuft of Joe Buck’s receding hair floating above the surf…

15. nps6724 - Aug 30, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Did he have an onion on his belt, which was the style at the time?

16. rdj3video - Aug 30, 2010 at 3:26 PM

He Gone!!!

17. FlyEaglesFly - Aug 30, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I’ve listened to quite a few Nats games and I don’t have a problem with Dibble nearly as much as their play-by-play guy, Bob Carpenter. Carpenter might be the biggest homer announcer in MLB right now. It’s neck and neck between him and Chip Caray. Dibble was knowledgeable and only slightly biased towards the home team whereas Carpenter isn’t very knowledgeable and totally biased. They should keep Dibble and fire Carpenter.

18. Kiwicricket - Aug 30, 2010 at 3:48 PM

You will think differently once you have sobered up

19. Kiwicricket - Aug 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I dare you to watch the recent Sox game where they are in a Blackhawks uniform. I don’t want to spoil the surprise, but he had a name on the back of his. Oh, the dark glasses in the night game are always special.

20. salukidawgs - Aug 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Dibbles and Bits…. Pitiful. He ranks right up there with Kornheiser, Bob Carpenter, Al Hrabosky, Tim McCarver & and Joe “I am Mr. Perfect” Theisman.

21. YANKEES1996 - Aug 30, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Dibble is a loser and should be gone, the sports announcer that I really want long gone….Brent Musberger, it is almost College Football season and he has the most irritating voice and is the WORST play by play guy I think ever in any sport. This is a bold statement but I really believe it is true, he is worse than Tim McCarver.

22. Utley's hair - Aug 30, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Buried in a vertical hole on the beach with only his head above the sand, a la Ted Danson in Creepshow.

23. Kiwicricket - Aug 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

At what stage is the tide? He can still talk for several more hours which must be stopped!

24. Kiwicricket - Aug 30, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Physics have proven it’s simply not possible.

25. Lt. Colombo - Aug 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM

As a Mets fan, I’m with you on Timmy. As a human being I’m with you on Joe Buck.
    I will note only in Tim’s defense that he is lauded in “The Worst Team Money Can Buy” as one of the few announcers at the time who weren’t Homers. i.e. he’d actually criticize the douchebags on the field. Of course, being the early 90s Mets they were in high supply.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3493)