Aug 30, 2010, 1:46 PM EST
Nationals television analyst Rob Dibble was initially said to be on a two-game “vacation” after telling Stephen Strasburg to “suck it up” and “stop crying” about the elbow injury that proved to require Tommy John surgery, but he wasn’t on the air for either game this weekend and now MASN has announced that he won’t be with the team on their six-day road trip that begins tonight in Florida.
Asked to provide further details, MASN spokesperson Todd Webster said: “He asked for and was granted a few days off. Beyond that, I don’t have a comment.”
I’ve already written plenty about Dibble’s comments, so I won’t rehash that now, but suffice it to say that every Nationals fan I know is hoping they’ve seen and heard the last of him on the team’s broadcasts. And that really has very little to do with what he said about Strasburg.
Ray Knight has been subbing for Dibble and, while I’ve not tuned in to hear him yet, I can say with the utmost confidence that he’s a massive upgrade. If a good, well-liked announcer says something stupid, perhaps you give him a pass. If a terrible, almost universally disliked announcer says something stupid, just weeks after also saying something stupid … well, why not give Nationals fans some good news for once and drop him?
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 3
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 17
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 31
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)