Aug 30, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Nationals television analyst Rob Dibble was initially said to be on a two-game “vacation” after telling Stephen Strasburg to “suck it up” and “stop crying” about the elbow injury that proved to require Tommy John surgery, but he wasn’t on the air for either game this weekend and now MASN has announced that he won’t be with the team on their six-day road trip that begins tonight in Florida.
Asked to provide further details, MASN spokesperson Todd Webster said: “He asked for and was granted a few days off. Beyond that, I don’t have a comment.”
I’ve already written plenty about Dibble’s comments, so I won’t rehash that now, but suffice it to say that every Nationals fan I know is hoping they’ve seen and heard the last of him on the team’s broadcasts. And that really has very little to do with what he said about Strasburg.
Ray Knight has been subbing for Dibble and, while I’ve not tuned in to hear him yet, I can say with the utmost confidence that he’s a massive upgrade. If a good, well-liked announcer says something stupid, perhaps you give him a pass. If a terrible, almost universally disliked announcer says something stupid, just weeks after also saying something stupid … well, why not give Nationals fans some good news for once and drop him?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)