Aug 30, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
The only thing I was hoping wouldn’t happen while I was on vacation was Roger Clemens getting arraigned, skipping bail, going on the lam and taking a bunch of hostages, because that’s the kind of thing I would have had to blog about. Thankfully that didn’t happen. He gets arraigned today, so any hostage-taking will occur while I’m on duty [crosses fingers].
As for the arraignment, don’t expect much. It will be short. The judge or the clerk or the prosecutor or someone will read the charges (or that could be waived). Roger will plead not guilty. Bail-skipping jokes aside, Clemens will almost certainly be officially released without bail. A trial date will be set, but it will almost certainly not be the real trial date due to whatever delays each side will later want/ask for/create. The biggest takeaway from all of this will be new pictures of Clemens wearing a suit walking in and then out of the courthouse. Frankly, I was getting tired of the old ones.
Actually, the biggest takeaway of today is the story in the Houston Chronicle about Clemens’ new lawyer, Michael Attanasio. Oh, Rusty Hardin is still around there and will likely be listed as lead counsel, but Attanasio is a San Diego-based guy with lots of criminal law experience and experience in dealing with steroids-in-baseball stuff.
There’s a gag order in place now so no one will be making statements anyhow, but you can bet that if Attanasio was in charge of Clemens’ defense a couple of years ago he wouldn’t have been all over “60 Minutes” and stuff back then and likely wouldn’t be in the mess he’s in now.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 65
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)