Aug 31, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
All-Star reliever Evan Meek appeared to suffer a serious injury when he took a Ryan Braun line drive off his pitching arm Sunday, collapsing onto the mound before eventually being helped off the field with a trainer clutching his limp right hand.
However, he somehow escaped with only a bruise, as X-rays revealed no fractures and most of the swelling has subsided. Or as Meek put it: “I got very lucky.”
Meek told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com that he can still only get about 75 percent of the way to a clenched fist, so he won’t be available out of the Pirates’ bullpen for a while longer, but he’s aiming to be throwing again by this weekend.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)