Aug 31, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
All-Star reliever Evan Meek appeared to suffer a serious injury when he took a Ryan Braun line drive off his pitching arm Sunday, collapsing onto the mound before eventually being helped off the field with a trainer clutching his limp right hand.
However, he somehow escaped with only a bruise, as X-rays revealed no fractures and most of the swelling has subsided. Or as Meek put it: “I got very lucky.”
Meek told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com that he can still only get about 75 percent of the way to a clenched fist, so he won’t be available out of the Pirates’ bullpen for a while longer, but he’s aiming to be throwing again by this weekend.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 14
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 17
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8