Aug 31, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
All-Star reliever Evan Meek appeared to suffer a serious injury when he took a Ryan Braun line drive off his pitching arm Sunday, collapsing onto the mound before eventually being helped off the field with a trainer clutching his limp right hand.
However, he somehow escaped with only a bruise, as X-rays revealed no fractures and most of the swelling has subsided. Or as Meek put it: “I got very lucky.”
Meek told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com that he can still only get about 75 percent of the way to a clenched fist, so he won’t be available out of the Pirates’ bullpen for a while longer, but he’s aiming to be throwing again by this weekend.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)