Dallas Braden has the right attitude

Aug 31, 2010, 4:59 PM EDT

Dallas Braden is going to start against the Yankees in the Bronx on Thursday. He knows he’s going to get an earful over all that “get off my mound” stuff. Rather than tighten up about it or spout cliches about the past being the past or whatever, he’s owning it. When asked about the reception he might receive:

“You guys wouldn’t be New Yorkers, right, if that wasn’t the case?”
Braden said at the Stadium yesterday when asked if he thought he’d get
an earful.

“That’s part of the excitement. They’ve had a while to think of some good stuff, so don’t disappoint.”

That’s really the only way to handle it.

Although, I wonder if new Yankee Stadium is as tough on guys like Braden as the old place used to be. Fewer common fans, what with those crazy prices. Seats farther away. I’ve seen people doing the wave there recently for crying out loud.

You gonna let Braden have it, Yankees fans, or are you goin’ soft?

1. El Bravo - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Yankees fans are soft and flaccid like a …. In other news, I was at a White Sox game last month where the packed house did the wave for 5-7 full rounds while Freddy was pitching. Just Turrrahbull…fans weren’t used to seeing so many of each other (the Sox had just taken first place that week).

2. Ditto65 - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Oh, I get it. You are comparing Yankees fans to a penis. Good one.

3. zac - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:29 PM

It’s sad, but Yankee fans have been doing the wave for at least a few years before NNYS opened. I remember one afternoon game in ’99, I think, when Bernie Williams actually turned around in center to watch the wave make its sixth or seventh pass around the stadium. To this day I like to think that he noticed my friends and I, seeing as how we were the only bunch who stayed sat down.

4. Kevin S. - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Yeah, the wave was around in the old place. It would never make it past Section 39, however.

5. King Ding-A-Ling - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:47 PM

He should throw at A-Rods head.

6. Ditto65 - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:54 PM

He’ll have to throw into the dugout, since A-Rod is on the DL until Sunday.

7. RichardInBigD - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I’d like to see him wear one of those “Get Off My Mound” T-shirts under his jersey, and, after he beats the Hankees, rip off the jersey and take a defiant lap around the warning track (a la Ripken).

8. RichardInBigD - Aug 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM

A brilliant comparison, if I do say so myself…

9. Ditto65 - Aug 31, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I’d like to see every Yankee in the lineup walk across “his” mound.

10. SouthofHeaven - Aug 31, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Fenway did the Wave on opening night this year.

11. Beanster - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:03 PM

That would be Sec 203 in the new stadium, and I’m sure Bald Vinny and the boys will be prepared as always.

12. doctorfunke - Sep 1, 2010 at 12:34 PM

How are the Sox doing now? Maybe that’s what you get for doing the wave.

13. kyle s - Sep 1, 2010 at 3:43 PM

finger mustache *clap clap clap clap clap*

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4971)