If I could see one game in baseball history . . .

Aug 31, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT

If you could see one game in baseball history, what would it be? My choice probably isn't an obvious one.

It may very well be this game, which Mike McClary of the Daily Fungo reminds us of:

On this date in
1957, Steve Dalkowski, pitching for Kingsport, fans 24, walks 18, hits
4, and throws 6 wild pitches in a row. He loses, 9-8.

I mean, there’s film of most of the big famous post-war games, and while the history of the pre-war games involving Ruth and Gehrig and all those cats would make them awesome to see as well, they’re really just another stripe of big important game, and we kind of know how those go.

The Dalkowski game, however, is sui generis. We’ll certainly never see anything like it again and being there would be something.  As would seeing Dalkowski himself, who, as many of you probably know, was the model for Nuke LaLoosh in “Bull Durham” (the writer and director, Ron Shelton, was a minor league teammate of Dalkowski’s). At least a partial model: Dalkowski was a raging alcoholic when he pitched.

Anyway, as I sit here today, Dalkowski plunking four dudes, striking out 24 and walking 18 while uncorking six wild pitches is what I’d want to see.  How about you?

1. El Bravo - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Randy Johnson smoking that bird over and over and over and over. Yes, I like shiny things.

2. BCTF - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Game 6 91′. I saw it the first time but I was very young and I didn’t get the context of the situation at the time. Game 7 that year wouldn’t be a bad choice either.

3. RichardInBigD - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Game to see? I’d have to go with the “called shot” game in Chicago in the ’32 series. Game to be at? The ALMOST perfect game of Armando Gallaraga. I’ve never been present for a no-no, so that would be nice, but I WAS at game 6 (yes THAT game 6), and it was pretty cool…

4. Professor Longnose - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I’d really like to see a deadball era game, to get a feel for how the game played back then, and I think I’d go with the Merkle game. It had stars, it had intensity, and I’d get to find out if they really got to second with the actual live ball.

5. hoopmatch - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Game five of the 1984 NLCS when the Padres came back from two games down to beat the Cubs and go to the World Series.

6. Spudchukar - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Tough call, probably Giants/Dodgers, with the walkoff by Bobby Thompson, but next I think I would go with the Harvey Haddox game.

7. Spudchukar - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I guess that should be Haddux.

8. Lou Stools - Aug 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I’d like to see the game where dozens of beautiful naked women molest that fat slob in the cheap seats.
    Oh, wait. I see that one every night in my dreams.

9. John from Concord - Aug 31, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. Over and over. High point of my baseball-watching life.

10. Kelly - Aug 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Game 6 or 7 of the 91 WS for my Twins fandom.
    OR
    Game 5 of the 1908 WS. Game length was 1:25. 6210 people were in attendance so I bet there were seats available. And then I wouldn’t have to worry about dying without ever seeing the Cubs win anything. In honor of my grandfather. :-)

11. SouthofHeaven - Aug 31, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. High point of my baseball-watching life, and I mean it. I get why Sox fans would say 04, but the 03 series was way harder-fought. The Yankees basically shit the bed in 04. The Sox fought to the very finish in 03.

12. cg - Aug 31, 2010 at 10:19 PM

That’s pretty pathetic. Enjoy the world series part of it, beating the yanks was just icing on the cake, but it wasn’t the cake.

13. Trumpet - Sep 1, 2010 at 2:41 AM

The Merkle game. That’s what I’d like to see, did Merkle touch second base?
    Or, as I was too young to remeber, 1991 World Series game 6 or 7, either would be memorable.

14. Old Gator - Sep 1, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Game 6 of the 86 Series. I’ve been to two no hitters, Game 6 of the 77 series (Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!), and a bunch of the classic Dwight Gooden /Fernando Valenzuela 1-0 duels. Yeah, I know I was there when that balled rolled between Buckner’s legs anyway, but I’m getting to that age where I want to protect my short term memory as well as my long term memory. And if I couldn’t go back to that magic moment, well, I’d like to sit home all afternoon with a nostalgic pipeful of good sheet, a bottle of Ripple, a big bowl of miniature Snickers and watch “Baseball Bugs” over and over and over again. You want sui generis (italicize it or risk resembling one of our resident right wing third grade dropouts)?
    I’ve got it for ya.

15. DMAC - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Any game (preferably all 8 of them) from the 1919 World Series. I’d like to see Shoeless Joe play and judge for myself if he participated in the scandal.

16. CSJ - Sep 1, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I vote for the game 5 of the 1956 World Series. I don’t see a perfect game happening in the World Series again any time soon.

17. amskollar - Sep 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

June 3rd, 1932….Lou Gehrig’s 4 homerun game. Not only was the final score 20-13, and not only did Gehrig hit 4 hrs, but Tony Lazzari also hit for the cycle. Babe Ruth and Jimmy Foxx also went deep. Ridiculous.

18. Jonny5 - Sep 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM

May 13th 1954 @ Connie Mack.

19. YANKEES1996 - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM

No contest here Don Larsens’ 1956 World Series Perfect Game against the Brooklyn Dodgers. First off, you get to see a World Series game and a Perfect one at that!

20. Mike T. - Sep 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

First game of the 1954 World Series, sitting in the center field bleachers, a la Arnold Hano.

21. RichardInBigD - Sep 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM

EXCELLENT CHOICE and reasoning. I may have to rethink my own answer…

Three legends off to Cooperstown