Aug 31, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
It may very well be this game, which Mike McClary of the Daily Fungo reminds us of:
On this date in
1957, Steve Dalkowski, pitching for Kingsport, fans 24, walks 18, hits
4, and throws 6 wild pitches in a row. He loses, 9-8.
I mean, there’s film of most of the big famous post-war games, and while the history of the pre-war games involving Ruth and Gehrig and all those cats would make them awesome to see as well, they’re really just another stripe of big important game, and we kind of know how those go.
The Dalkowski game, however, is sui generis. We’ll certainly never see anything like it again and being there would be something. As would seeing Dalkowski himself, who, as many of you probably know, was the model for Nuke LaLoosh in “Bull Durham” (the writer and director, Ron Shelton, was a minor league teammate of Dalkowski’s). At least a partial model: Dalkowski was a raging alcoholic when he pitched.
Anyway, as I sit here today, Dalkowski plunking four dudes, striking out 24 and walking 18 while uncorking six wild pitches is what I’d want to see. How about you?
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)