Aug 31, 2010, 5:29 PM EST
It may very well be this game, which Mike McClary of the Daily Fungo reminds us of:
On this date in
1957, Steve Dalkowski, pitching for Kingsport, fans 24, walks 18, hits
4, and throws 6 wild pitches in a row. He loses, 9-8.
I mean, there’s film of most of the big famous post-war games, and while the history of the pre-war games involving Ruth and Gehrig and all those cats would make them awesome to see as well, they’re really just another stripe of big important game, and we kind of know how those go.
The Dalkowski game, however, is sui generis. We’ll certainly never see anything like it again and being there would be something. As would seeing Dalkowski himself, who, as many of you probably know, was the model for Nuke LaLoosh in “Bull Durham” (the writer and director, Ron Shelton, was a minor league teammate of Dalkowski’s). At least a partial model: Dalkowski was a raging alcoholic when he pitched.
Anyway, as I sit here today, Dalkowski plunking four dudes, striking out 24 and walking 18 while uncorking six wild pitches is what I’d want to see. How about you?
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)