Aug 31, 2010, 5:29 PM EST
It may very well be this game, which Mike McClary of the Daily Fungo reminds us of:
On this date in
1957, Steve Dalkowski, pitching for Kingsport, fans 24, walks 18, hits
4, and throws 6 wild pitches in a row. He loses, 9-8.
I mean, there’s film of most of the big famous post-war games, and while the history of the pre-war games involving Ruth and Gehrig and all those cats would make them awesome to see as well, they’re really just another stripe of big important game, and we kind of know how those go.
The Dalkowski game, however, is sui generis. We’ll certainly never see anything like it again and being there would be something. As would seeing Dalkowski himself, who, as many of you probably know, was the model for Nuke LaLoosh in “Bull Durham” (the writer and director, Ron Shelton, was a minor league teammate of Dalkowski’s). At least a partial model: Dalkowski was a raging alcoholic when he pitched.
Anyway, as I sit here today, Dalkowski plunking four dudes, striking out 24 and walking 18 while uncorking six wild pitches is what I’d want to see. How about you?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 5
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)